Heater Exploded!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Crabby Jim, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I was doing some maintence on my sump so I removed my heater among other things I put my heater on the tile floor and I didn't unplug it " STUPID MOVE" I finished what I was doing and went to put the heater back in the sump and SIZZLE BOOM it exploded. Well I guess I thought the heater would shut off when it was out of the water and it didn't lucky for me I have a grounding probe in the system or I might have just electrocuted my whole tank. I have been watching the tank today and I do not see any problems everyone is swimming and happy corals are out etc. lesson learned luckily I have my back up heater that I use when I make water . :eek:

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

3 words...
    Titanium, Titanium, Titanium..............

You're lucky you didn't get fried. I hear it's an electrifying experience! Glad to hear everyone is fine!!! phhheeewwwww!

4. reefersRus

reefersRus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That is why I love the stealth heaters. They are all I use. They are plastic (maybe vinyl) and shut off when they are taken out of water. They are a little more expensive but are really accurate and reliable.

Thank god for spares though :)

5. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Glad your ok, Now you know not to take the heater out of the water until it is turned off & cooled down...

6. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Thank God youre ok, now did it make you jump?..lol j/k
    nice to know nobody got hurt

7. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

Ahhh, 110's nothing just a lil wake me up for us anyway, fish would prolly be a different story, glad everything made it.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I did that with a 250 watt eheim during a water change once. It was unplugged and all, its just when i drained the container i had it heating it wasnt cooled down enuf to expose to air and pop, glass all in my container. I still use eheim but also like the stealths too....plastic or not i wouldnt expose them to air until they are cooled off.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You were very lucky for many reasons, thank god. Luna

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Most titaniums have a auto shut off built in that won't let them burn out of water. Glad eveything is ok.