Heater Blew Up Killed Inverts

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mobalized, Nov 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

Just did a water change 2 hours ago everything was fine right after, went and took a shower, came back down and noticed all of the snails aside from 2 were on their backs and look to be dead or dying. All feather dusters are pulled in, all corals are fully retracted not looking well, bristle worms and asterina stars are raining off the rocks and glass.

Began rushing to find the problem, got to the sump in the basement and found that my Fluval 300w heater popped and was apparently dumping 120v into the tank. Obviously the heater has been removed and I guess at this point all I can do is watch and hope that some things survive? Any advice on actions to take? I am assuming there will be a possible rise in ammonia over the next couple of days due to so much death. (Probably 4 large snails, small blaso frag, pink lemonade, and lots of stars, dusters, and bristleworms all in about 120g total volume system). Going to go get a new heater now before the stores close getting a Eheim like my nano this time.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

All you can really do it remove all dead or dying inverts. Run new carbon, test for ammonia for a couple days, do water changes as indicted by the test results and have some prime on hand to combat any rapid raise in ammonia until a water change can be performed.

Ugggg that's a bummer.

4. Mobalized

That it is corailline, carbon already changed, mixing 5 gallons just to use to siphon out bodies. Hopefully the snails and conchs make it. Crazy how electricity can flow with the water right upstairs

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

so sorry to hear :( hopefully, your losses will be minimal

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Could your heater have been running while out of water during your water change?

The way I start my water changes is by unplugging return pumps, etc., and take water out of the sump. One time I had forgotten to unplug my heater, and because I had almost no water in my sump, it was just heating the air. Luckily I got the problem settled before the heater did damage (and it still works! No stray voltage either!). I know this isn't advice for how to do deal with your problem now, but more of a preventative advice.

7. Mobalized

Heater doesn't come out of water, happened once with the same model heater before from running dry during water changes. Now i go with eheims and don't worry about them blowing up. Hopefully some stuff survives.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Are all your powered items plugged thru a GFCI circuit?

No one else is curious about that? I know I think strange processes- but...

If so, it would have tripped w/in milliwseconds and no losses do to electrocution.

I'm only assuming then that it was not on a GFCI circuit.
    They make GFCI adapters that you can plug into the wall circuit- works Great! I should now, I'm using them.

Please get some?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

1 + Heaters are dangerous. That sucks.

11. Mobalized

It is not a gfci outlet or power strip on that tank, the other one is. Probably a good idea.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah they sell mobile gfci at Home Depot
    Sorry to hear.