Heat problem on my PC 4x96W

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Nukeproof, Jul 15, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nukeproof

Nukeproof Plankton

I am on my 4th week of cycling my new 125G tank (Only have 1 Clown, cleaner crew, and a feather duster my friend gave me). I went with a 4x96W JBJ retrofit for my 6 inch canopy. I went with PC instead of Halide cause I was worry about heat problem. Well, I got heat problem with PCs also. My temperature is at 83-84F when the lights are on and 77-78F when they are off. I did the put fan in my cabinet and on top of my refugium but if it helps, it's minute. I am going to get 2 fans for my canopy.
    I am trying to avoid a chiller since it will heat up my room. Will canopy fan help or getting a window AC unit for the room help to reduce it to 78F? If neither, I will probably get a chiller reluctantly. Danm, I should have got Halide if I knew I'll have this problem.
    Another thing I was thinking of was getting rid of my lights and canopy and just hanging a Halide unit. Not my wife top choice but she thinks it's better than chiller. Will heat still be a problem with this setup?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[glow=red, 2, 300]Welcome to 3Reef[/glow]

I have MH and with two fans in the canopy and one blowing on the sump I have no problems with heat (anymore)
    I would try the fans in the canopy.  Make one blowing in and one blowing out.
    Do you have a glass top? this will cause overheating if you do.

Good luck and keep us up to date

J

4. Nukeproof

Nukeproof Plankton

Thanks for the advice Jakets, I'll try to get one this weekend. I have acrylic tank so it has 2 holes on top. I don't think the summer heat is helping either. I'm also loosing 2-7 quarts of water a day. Is that normal?

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Quarts what's a quart? (canadian Eh) ;D Ya that's normal. Evaporation is a good method of keeping the tank cool. I loose 2L a day almost a gallon.

The top only has to holes? Big ones right? How makes the tank? (I just want to cesk out their www to visuallize)

J