Hazy Water...

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Callahan, Mar 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Callahan

Callahan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

OK so I posted about the gravel vac/water change I did yesterday. There is now a white haze in my tank that has yet to clear. Any thoughts to what this may be? Normal or not?

Thanks guys!

-Ben

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its probably a bacteria bloom. you may have stirred some stuff up in the vacuuming.
    carbon should help clear it up

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you tested the water? Ammonia specifically.

5. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

Agree on the ammonia test, always good to be safe...Give it time with some carbon... patience is a virtue!

6. Callahan

yah i did the ammonia test, it isn't great thats why i did the gravel vac/water change. I'll do another one now and get back to you but thats what i'm doing all this stuff for. Do you know of any other treatments other than gravel vac/water change and ammo-lock?

Thanks

-Ben

7. Callahan

Did the ammonia test its at about 2 ppm which is way too high. fish seem to be fine but i've been fighting ammonia the past few weeks i dont get what im doing wrong or not doing at all??

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

your probably just going to fast. i know everybody says it but go slow. ive been fish keeping since i was 8. sometimes stocking i still go to fast.

if its still very bad, use a product called prime by seachem. its water conditioner. it detoxifies ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. which means it leaves it for bacteria to still grow, thats my understanding.
    during the dose, it has emergency instructions which i believe is triple the standard dose. during the treatment you need to watch the fish very careful as it will take oxygen out of the tank. you should have a emergency air stone and pump just in case breathing gets bad.

you should not add another fish for atleast a month. as the prime may mess up some test kit, i.e. some test kits will some pick up the detoxified ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. some kits won't show them, theres really no way to know unless you have a compatible test kit.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its bacterial die off you disturbed the balance .. it will clear in about 72 hrs or so ..When they die off they consume large amounts of oxygen and the ammonia and nitrites will spike a bit and the Ph will be affected also just make sure the dkh or carbonate levels are good and add a airstone and airpump if you have one handy ? If not get one always keep it on hand . I myself run 2 air stones 24/7

11. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

I'm generally against having anything but your CC touch your sand/crushed coral base. It doesn't need to be cleaned and is a large part of your bacteria load. If it hasn't been recommended yet a 20% WC to get some of that out wouldn't hurt. If you're having problems with your sand base getting junk built up talk to the reef cleaners guy AFTER it stabilizes and get a cleaning crew. Good luck!

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Trelane - I believe Callahan is reffering to a freshwater set up ?