Hawaiian reef tank corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by duoc9119, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm building a tank and going to have it Hawaii specific. I have a general idea of what fish I want to keep ( Kole or yellow tang, green chromis, I'm sure there are clown species native to Hawaii) but I have not found much info on corals native to the area. Anyone have ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I don't believe the state of HI allows the harvest or sale of corals to the aquarium trade...best you'll probably do is try and find similar species from other areas.

4. duoc9119

I'm pretty sure they don't either, I am looking for similar corals. Maybe some acros, zoas, bubble coral for sure is native to the state. I'm pretty much going to a Hawaiian reef look so I'm scouring the web.

5. Reef-a-holic

OK...just wanted to make sure you knew that...from my time in the water in HI I recall lots of Pocillopora, Porites, Montipora, some Fungia and Tubastraea...I'm sure there are many others...but those come to mind as being fairly prevalent.

6. duoc9119

Yeah not looking to get actual wild corals harvested from there. Just an idea of what can be found there and bought. I will look around and see if any LFS around here have any you have listed. I think the hardest part will be trying to get specific corals. So I will settle with families of corals.

7. Reef-a-holic

I would have trouble with the fish list for this tank...there are sooo many really cool angels and butterflies from HI...but most are not "reef safe".

I looked around but like you said there do not seem to be any "lists" of Hawaiian corals...I'm surprised I didn't find a list from some University.

I don't want to seem like I'm peddling my own stuff, but I just looked at one of my suppliers lists of maricultured SPS out of Bali and they do have some sp. of Porites and Pocillipora that look a lot like what I've seen in HI...so if you have trouble getting what you want locally we might be able to work something out.

Just for fun the link below is some pics I took last time we were on Kauai...several locations the coral was pretty sparse...but lots of really cool fish.

Facebook

8. Click Here!

9. duoc9119

Thanks for the info and great pictures by the way. I have found a website after a lot of searching around and there is a pretty good list of fish and a decent coral list.

Keoki & Yuko Stender's Flora & Fauna ID Site

For a popular tropical vacation you figured there would be more specific information on the coral reefs there. Maybe I will hit the library for the first time in who knows how long. haha

10. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

They still make those?

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

any coral pretty much that is collected from the western pacific will also be in hawaii, i dont think corals are imported from hawaii either. but if you just order stuff specific to the pacific tropics then youll probably be safe.

12. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

I think the pink tail trigger is also from Hawaii.