Hawaiian Flame Wrasse FOTM Sep '07

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by omard, Sep 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hawaiian Flame Wrasse
    Cirrhilabrus jordani

[​IMG]

Quite simply one of the most beautiful fish available for the home reef tank. ​

Aka: Flame Fairy Wrasse, Flame Wrasse, Jordan's Fairy Wrasse.

Care Level: Easy.

Reef Safe: Absolutely

Temperament: Easy going, mellow fish. Gets along with all other tank inhabitants. Has even bonded with yellow tang which has similar temperament.

Diet: Carnivore. Feed it a varied diet of frozen prepared foods, minced fresh shrimp, and a good flake food. Also will eat nori when I feed it periodically to others in tank. I feed it at least twice daily.

Origin/Range: Hawaii

Maximum Size: the Cirrhilabrus jordani grows up to 6 inches.

Minimum Tank Size: The Flame Wrasse (Male) prefers a tank of at least 50 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

Hardiness: this is a moderately hardy fish.

Cost: Prices range up to $200 for the male on large web LFS's. My local LFS sells them for $140 a pair, or $80 for just the male. If you are going to have one centerpiece fish for your tank, this one is definitely worth the investment

Sexing: The female is also colorful, but does not have the striking differentiation of colors the male has.

Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

General: Incredibly good natured and people friendly fish. Are known to be jumpers. After it establishes it will become more active and be one of the best eaters in your tank. Do not attempt to keep more than one male unless they will live in a very large tank. Females are best introduced to the tank before or at the same time as the male. Will behave aggressively toward other fairy wrasses that arrive to the tank after them.

The Hawaiian Flame Wrasse will add a dramatic splash of color to any reef aquarium. Provide it with plenty of live rock and live sand. It is a very peaceful wrasse and can be housed with a wide variety of reef fish, including other small wrasse.

The Hawaiian Flame Wrasse is a great reef fish and is often seen cruising all over the tank looking for food. It is harmless to corals, clams, and ornamental invertebrates. It will help to control pyramidellid snails, which are harmful to clams, and flatworms. Do not keep it with aggressive predators, or larger aggressive wrasses.

This wrasse may jump from open aquariums, so make sure to keep your tank covered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hawaiian Flame Wrasse PhotoBucket SlideShow​

Reef Aquarium Fish Series
    CIRRHILABRUS | THE FAIRY WRASSES

Part 1 of 2: Life History
    by Leonard Ho

Davis Family Aquarium - Flame Wrasse

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I missed this. Thanks for your effort and detail Omar. Karma to ya!
    Beautiful fish. No doubt.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks Matt,

Could not resist putting up here on FOTM. He is such a showoff and photo hog. ;D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I love those Fairy and Flasher Wrasses!!!
    Thanks for the info...

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Would love to have a tank with just them. --- actually quite possible as they get along together well, and are a very non-aggressive fish.

This would be my next choice (way down off in future ;) )

[​IMG]

A male Australian Cirrhilabrus lineatus

My LFS gets them in regularly. Think he sells them for around $100.