Have you ever cracked your aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 3, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. No.

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. Yes!

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was just remembering how upset I was when my Oceanic 75 reef ready cracked - get this - from sitting on the sun porch and the glass expanding in the heat! - This cracked the frame. :p

Another time.. I was cleaning out my 30 long in the shower before someone was coming over to buy it and it slipped out of my hands and broke in the tub! :mad:

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Nope, but I know someone who has... NOT GOOD. It was a fancy goldfish tank. Water everywhere. Luckily it was only a 10g.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well, Not mine. But in the marine lab at my old school...we had, i believe a 135 gal. The whole face cracked and broke off....there was water everywhere. And of course a few tanks that the kids droped...

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I answerd no but i just remembered a while back we were mooving and i had my girlfreinds 2 FW tank (10 gal & 20 gal) on the back seat of my car. I had to brake in a hurry and didnt want the tanks to flip over so i held back the 10 gal with my hand and with the pressure of all the stuff pushing on it my hand went through the glass. I didnt cut myself or anything, just a little mess in the car is all.

Marc.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Not that I can remember. I sure wouldn't want that to happen with all the nice corals and fish I have now either :)

Jim

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

After 40 years of tanks, I don't remember how many tanks have cracked.
    IMO, all glass tanks given enough time either crack or have a seal fail. Moving tanks seem to be the kiss of death. I never consider moving a tank if there is anything at all in it including sand. The last one was an old 135 in my office in 12/04. It had been there with no problems for 3 years. What a mess! The AGA 210 that replaced it will probably be my last glass tank.

I guess that is why I'll put up with acrylic scratches.

8. Click Here!

9. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I had my thai devil crab in a 10 with 20 pounds of CC in it.I was showing a few people my tank and somone bumped the table just the wronge way and it fell of hit the floor and everyone went running from the crab as it skampered across the hardwood floor. Lol I got a kick out of it and put him in a 29.

10. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Our 240 gallon reef show tank back exploded in the middle of the night sounding like a sawed off shotgun and emptied the contents onto the floor. We salvaged what we could and transported to my friends house. I took a break from saltwater for a while......... IIIII'MMMMM baaaaaaaaack! lol

At my store in 2000, I was walking to the back room and I guess while swinging my arms put my right hand through a ten gallon tank. I bled like a stuck pig and still have a healthy scar to show for it.

Broke a glass tank years ago attempting to drill it.

That's what I remember at the moment although I am sure there are more.

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I was going to use a 29G tank as a sump. Decided to dremel drill it. All worried. I'm going to break it. I'm going to break it. NOT worked just fine.

Went to plumb and had the bulkhead and PVC on and bumped the plumbing. CRACK. crap.

when back to the rummbermaid sump.

12. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Doesn't that figure? Rubbermaid=good. lol