Have no Clue?? Want to buy complete Sump, Refugium??

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Otty, Dec 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I want to buy a complete sump/refugium set up for my 55 gal and I really have no clue what to buy. :Looking: I have read thread after thread and if I tackle this myself as a DIY then I know something will be wrong or leak because of my lack of knowledge on this matter. I really don't know what a sump/refugium does chemically but I know I should get one to have a happy healthy aquarium.
    I would like to just buy a complete setup to get things started and then WHEN not if I upgrade to a bigger tank (I have the bug bad) I will understand what the process is and make my own. This is a link to a sale on ebay, can any of you veteran's let me know if this is a good piece to start with or a link to get one. I am not worried about it being the cheapest, I just want it to work and keep my investment healthy.
    eBay: 75 Gallon Aquarium sump refugium wet dry w/ skimmer (item 250060263520 end time Dec-21-06 12:20:02 PST)

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How big of a new tank would you get? That sump looks like it could handle up to a 125. Not a bad sump.

Edit - I'd do the math on the sump pump and that overflow in regards to flow. Not sure what the GPH is on that setup.

4. bond300

bond300 Plankton

Sump Or NO SUMP?

I have been in SW for 20yrs never using a sump! But I don't have a tank over 100G...I have 90G and 75G. I have found the if you have enough live rock, a good skimmer and filter No canister HOB. your COST$$ is kept down.
    My 90G Mixed setup:
    2 HOT Magnums (Filled with crushed coral) 250gph $80.00
    Marineland 350 gph $24.95
    AquaC Remora skimmer HOB 350gph $250.00
    Aqueon (2) 950 powerheads $100.00 (1) 500 $35.00

SAVE MONEY!!

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Really?

In 2014 with proven methods, if you really want to "SAVE MONEY" it is best to have a proper initial setup. The best skimmers are insump or recirculating not HOB, canisters are old tech, crushed coral collects detritus, and high end modern powerheads vs a strong return pump have been the norm for a while now.

6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have a sump made by Eshoppes which I am very happy with. The sump adds extra water volume, a place to keep pumps, heaters skimmers etc. A refugium is a place to beneficial things such as cheato or mangroves etc to remove nutrients from the system. If you are able to pre plan what you want your sump/fuge to do, it makes things much easier when you start to look at something to get. My philosophy has always been to get the biggest thing that I can fit under my display tank!

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'll pretend I'm Vinny - thread is from 2006 :)

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What?You mean observant and handsome?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.