Has your reef setup become too complicated?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Has your reef setup become too complicated?

1. Yes!

10.0%
  2. No.

66.7%
  3. I'm right on the edge!

23.3%
  1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

The more gadgets I add The less I have to do ( I guess I'm Lazy) ::) ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Matt, I hear Bill Gates is big on charity, why don't you give him a call too:)

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Well... I said no but you decide.

The 300 goes is plumbed directly into the basement sump. All the wires for the hood run down a hunk of pvc using an unused return bulkhead. I have the 225g dsb with macro sump, monster skimmer and auto RODI topoff handling all of the water filtration. The return pump is a 1.5 hp pool/spa monster and I have a Iwaki md70rlt running the Becketts on the skimmer. So far the basement is cool enough that I don't need a chiller. It was part of the grand plan. I dose CA, Alk and Iodine. I have a 100 gal rubbermaid water making station on a table next to the skimmer. Once mixed all water changes are done just by turning 2 valves. 1 dumps to a drain in the floor. 1 replaces water in the sump.

New last week (I know I need to post pictures) I finished replacing my 72 bowfront FOWLER with a 90 RR Acrylic I bought used. This is also plumbed into the basement sump. I ran 1.5" feed pvc and 2" return pvc 30 feet under the floor to the sump and ran flex through a heating vent up to the tank. In timing the initial fill I think I have almost 10x turnover from that system. The tank was already drilled for a closed loop, so I rigged a MD40 clone to it. (Why not?) I think I'm close to 18x on a fowler. :tongue4: It's much higher than my 300 reef which is around 12x. This now gives me about 600g in system. The lack of MH on the fowler also seems to cool the system about a degree.

So, you tell me. Have I gone too far? ::) It all seems logical.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow! That's intense. Love the water volume though. And I really like your cords in the pvc pipe trick!

6. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

When anybody (and almost all of them) looked at my reef tank and look wide eyed at all the contraption attached, I simple answer "Beauty has a price. And it is always complicated. Need simple? Find something ugly"

LOL!!!!!!

1 person likes this.