Has your reef setup become too complicated?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yes!

10.0%
  2. No.

66.7%
  3. I'm right on the edge!

23.3%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'm so guilty of this.
    In the spirit of trying a lot of stuff so I can help out around here I have completely over-engineered my setup...

I've got a calcium reactor, tunze controllers for pumps and top-offs, halides with moon lights, I.V.'s, pH controller, hang on the back skimmer, timers galore ... all on a 20 long!

I had bigger tanks with so much less that did better too. Go figure! :p ::)

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

HINT HINT

The more toys the better the Aquacontroller has to have something to boss around;)

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Damn Matt, you have completely let yourself fall for all the hype equipment in the saltwater hobby. Although they will make a setup look cool and sophisticated.

The answer... yes it has gotten kinda complicated.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Matt remember the old saying- KISS -"KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"! You don't need to have all the so called latest and greatest hi-tech stuff to be a successful and responsible REEFER! There are ways of beating the system or atleast keeping up with the system while forgoing many expensive or unnecessary components for your tank!

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Most of the gadgets I have really help my system. I don't have a lot. But my CA reactor is indispensables. My Auto top off I would not live without. now the new tank (that seems to want to cycle forever) has Wavey seas on the returns will have a chiller and I would like to get a controller for it. But I don't think tool/Toys that help maintain the are over complicated.
    If it saves me time and automates some task than I think it's a good thing. Now I just need a gadget that will clean the glass while I sleep

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I think ive seen some J, they are called snails ;) just kidding....

Right now my setup is very simple... plus i dont have the budget to get all that fancy equipement and controlers. If i had the dough for them i would probebly fall right in with you Matt. I love gadgets ;D.

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

heh. Good stuff! I do believe in K.I.S.S., although I dropped the ball with this one.

I think in my case, no matter of wizardry will compensate for my lack of water volume. It's a thin line I am walking.

THe other thing I've brushed in error is developing a system that suits your lifestyle.

Do you have the time to dote on it everyday? Or have you made one that allows you to float for a few weeks? In my case I went for glory and I am now paying the price after being out of town and not being able to do a water change or dose for 3 weeks.

I need to reevaluate and get a much bigger tank with much less stuff.

I did not mean to imply that a calcium reactor and a top-off were going overboard. I agree, once you have them, you certainly appreciate them. I just was thinking that my hardware does not match the size of my tank. It looks kinda silly. But it should make upgrading to a bigger tank easier. :)

10. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

HHHMMMM do a smell a project comming up Matt??? You know what they say, bigger is better.

Marc.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Kick the turtle out of his cushy 75G LOLOLOLO

J

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Funny you brought that up. He's tank is easy peasy now that it's drilled out and has the monster wet/dry. He's loving it. He used to turn the old 30 gallon brown in less than a week. Just proves the water volume thing (plus good filtration now - you should see the bugs in the wet/dry :eek: )

@Marc - you are correct sir! I need to contact Warren Buffet immediately. :)