Has anyone made a large DIY skimmer?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Blade_Runner, Nov 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Since I'm still in a self delusional state from being able to build my monster sump and believe I have mad plexiglass skills. :tongue4: ;) I'm thinking about building a large down draft skimmer vs. spending hundreds on a store bought one or a used one my LFS guy is trying pawn off on me. I've looked at several plans and am pretty sure I can come up with something and handle the manufacturing part, but I am concerned about flow rates, tube diameters, section lengths choice of Beckett injectors vs. venturies and stuff like that.

The used one is a Nova 648 Protien Skimmer. I have not been able to find anything out about it. It's supposed to be about a 4' tall external downdraft skimmer that he claims will handle the 300. He wants $200 for it. It's certainly a cheap and painless way to do it, but in my delusional state I think I can build a better mousetrap. ::)

So, what do you think? Take the easy way out? Build a beast? It won't save me any real $. I'll probably drop $100 in materials. I think my wanting to to this is just for a sense of pride. I do consider a skimmer one of the most important parts of a system. I'd hate to screw it up.

Help me I'm so confused. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. nfarocks

nfarocks Astrea Snail

4. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Deluded

An excellent site for info nfarocks. Thank you.
    In my somewhat learned and experienced opinion, there are some things for DIY and some things not. If your'e pretty handy and have a good grip on the mechanics of a skimmer then by all means DIY. However, it sounds like you are skeptical. In that case go with the sure thing unless you have money to burn. I would think of it in these terms: do you trust the guy selling one or have you seen it in action? For DIY, how much are you going to lose if 1) the thing doesn't work at all and 2) the thing works poorly but you have already stocked your tank with some expensive specimens and don't recognize what the problem is quickly?
    Best of luck.
    Ps; you might want to see a doctor about your delusions. Especially if they get bigger and grander (like building your own house as I did.) :p
    Wally

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Thanks guys.
    I've seen snailman's link and some others along those lines.
    Trust... I have a local guy who does my office tank because my staff are worried that when I'm out of town something will happen (it has) and they have no one to call... hmmm... lets just say, he has had more problems and dead critters in 10 months than I've had in in 5+ years. Although the time I was out of town cost me big. :( Let me get back to you on that...
    DIY house?:laugh: I lost that delusion back in the 80s.
    I'm 90% certain that I can tackle it. I can certainly build it. It's the final dimensions and appropriate flow rates that have me going.
    Mutter mutter...:tongue4:
    Maybe I'll draw some thing up and let you guy pick it apart.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

7. steve414

steve414 Astrea Snail

diy skimmer

I made one but the pump to power it is going to be to much. it cost me about $23.00 to make. this guy is pretty good http://home.comcast.net/~76fxe/reactor.htm iam just going to buy a asm 3. I like in sump skimmers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005