Has anyone heard of justliverock.com?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Grant476, Dec 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

holy crap, thats $500 worth of live rock! I would have gone with mostly base rock.

2. Click Here!

3. courterbobby

courterbobby Plankton

Yes it was expensive, but I want my babies to have what they need. I have an established 30g right now and I am setting up an 80g to move everyone over.
    So far justliverock.com is like all the other reviews say, nothing but grief. I got an email monday saying they just came back from diving and the shippment should ship this week. I sent them an email yesterday and asked them when can I expect it to arrive at the airport for me to pick up, they responded saying the weather has been rough in florida and it would probally ship monday. I looked up weather and marine forecasts in their area and there is no reason they can not ship my rock this week. Maybe the 75 degree weather is too cold for them, but the way I see it there is no reason why I can not have my rock shipped this week since they have already collected it. Plus not to mention I am air shipping it so go to the damn air port and ship it already!
    I am going to say I would not reccomend this company. If the rock quality is not superior I will be shipping it back and asking for a refund.
    They have gave me nothing but a headache since I ordered it "same day shipping" one week ago.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If you already have an established tank then why are you wasting your money on so called Live rock????? I could think of plenty of things to spend extra money on like equipment not wet rock. Buy base rock and seed it with your rock.

1 person likes this.
  5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Exactly! No matter how fast it ships, you will most likely have some die off anyways, so you will most likely experience a small cycle.

6. courterbobby

courterbobby Plankton

Well I want the rock and the set up i have for my 30g to stay like it is, I am going to use it for raising seahorses. I want to start new on the 80g so that is why I ordered what I did. I already have everything I need excpet the LR for the 80g.

7. courterbobby

courterbobby Plankton

Expensive yes I know, but I do not have to explain my reasoning to anyone about why I did what I did. Just know that finances are not a concern. I am merely trying to help others who want to know about justliverock.com.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I personally can see a lot of benefit to purchasing "live" rock over base rock.

In my experience, most "base" rock is rock that has been mined inland from ancient underground reef formations. The thing that concerns me about this rock is what may have leached into the rock as it aged underground. I understand this is anecdotal, but I have purchased limestone "base rock" for cichlid tanks before and noticed that they had some mica and iron deposits in them. Without knowing for sure, I would assume that it could contain other hard metals, or copper as well.

I understand that some may disagree with me, but this is my point of view:

At least "live" rock has had a chance to be in the ocean or saltwater for a good amount of time, whether it is aquacultured or harvested and is more likely to have leached the impurities OUT of it. I am skeptical of putting rocks in my tank that are from an unknown origin, dry or otherwise. Maybe I'm being picky, but with so many variables in a tank, this is one I like to not leave up to chance.

Also, someone mentioned that the florida rock comes straight from the ocean. For me, this is where I would want my rock to come from, if at all possible, and I believe most live rock comes from. Hitchhikers are going to be a possibility no matter what, so most rock should be treated with the same attention when acclimating, FWIW.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

All it take is actually 1 cup of sand and a small piece of rock to start colonizing. It's your money :-/

11. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

seas are rough this week....they aren't lying to you. sunday will be good, but it was 3-5s and 5-7s all week after a week of 7-9s....pure murk...life has been miserable.

12. courterbobby

courterbobby Plankton

Update

Just got a call from justliverock.com. They are shipping my rock out tomorrow :cheesy: I will be sure to post pixs when it arrives. I am picking it up from the airport.