Hardiest Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CG, Jan 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CG

CG Bristle Worm

Whats the hardiest anemone? I heard its the BTA maybe? I need something that my Clarki clowns can take to, i know they might not, but just something that is compatible, are BTAs?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Anenomes in general have a very poor success rate in the home aquarium. These animals live for decades in the wild and get quite large. Home aquariasts struggle to keep these animals alive for as many as 5 years.

BTAs, especially the Rose color variation, are generally the most hardy anenomes. Provided you have sufficient lighting to keep alive the zoanthalea, your Clarkii should have no problem being hosted.

It is better to acclimate the BTA without the Clarkii and only introduce the two when the anenome is eating meaty foods regularly.

If you are serious about getting one lets discuss tank size, lighting, and acclimation procedures.

4. CG

CG Bristle Worm

I've got a 29 gallon with PC lighting, two actinics, seems like it would be bright enough at the top?

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

How many watts is your lighting? My 20 gallon has 110 Watts of 10,000k PC lighting. That's over 4 watts per gallon, which is probably the minimum.

How long have you been in the hobby? I rate these as expert critters, and definitely not for th newbie. An established tank with stable water parameters is also a must, one year tank age minimum in my opinion.