Happy New Tank to me

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Scuba Ken, Jul 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You can make them as high or low as you want. I have mine about 2" lower than the height of my overflow. I have never heard of anyone having stagnant water issues by doing this. As long as you have good turnover rate, it should not be an issue at all.

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Ok so it would appear that my cycle is complete ?
    I still have a little brown staining on the sand,

Amonia is zero
    Nitrates .25
    Nitrites .0

I am going to do 150 gallons water change and test again, if I maintain zero across the tests, I am going to introduce a fish this weekend, the add some more in 2 weeks time.
    I am considering adding some algae into the sump and some copeds (1000), will this help with the tank becoming "aged"

4. Scuba Ken

My latest piece for the tank has arrived today, a corallife "turbotwist" 12X 36watt.
    Can I ask if this unit has the potential to irradiate ick in the tank ? I understand that this depend primarily on the flow through the unit.
    If I run at 280 gph this apparently kills off parasites, would this include ick living in the tank. At the moment there are no fish in the tank, what would the course of action be to irradiate ick larvae in the tank, or do they even exist in the tank at the moment ?

My plan is to have several tangs in this tank, so irradiating or helping reduce ick would be very advantageous.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Sounds like a plan to me. Just go slow as you are proposing :)

Well, from what I have seen, you need about 180,000-200,000 µws/cm2 to kill Ich. Running the 36W at 290 GPH will give you 45,000 µws/cm2, so about 1/4 of what you need :-/ That being said, I run the same unit on my 46BF using a Maxijet 1200 (flow rate should be around 260 GPH). It is my QT, so I figure it can't hurt to run it (besides electricity and heating the tank up!).

6. Scuba Ken

Thanks for the reply.

7. Scuba Ken

32' Photons

Just got my 32' Photon LEDs up.

This is them on BLUE only, my new bigger galleon looks smashing , the new home for a coral beauty.......................... 330 gallon Display, 150 gallon Sump !!!!
    LoL spoiled fish !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Scuba Ken

So 2 weeks ago I moved my 3 tangs, tomorrow morning at 430 I start the job of moving the emporer angel, my clowns, starfish, monster hermit crab and my conch snail.
    5 hours drive, wish me luck !
    Any words of wisdom on how to get my very grumpy cowrie off the glass ? She decided she isn't going raced off the rocks I was removing and onto the glass and is now glued to it ?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  10. Scuba Ken

I sneaked up on him and popped him off with a egg slice :)
    All good, the guys are all in their new home and very happy :)