happy birthday

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by newtosalt, Dec 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

so today my women got a deal she couldn't pass up she got me a 60 gallon cube and a 150w mh for 150 bucks well right now i have a 55g with 4 54w t5s now how will my mhs do over the 60 cube and idk the what bulb is in there and im new to halides so i need to know what bulb i should get i have 2 10k now 1 20k and an actinic im going to get a 24in reef brite to go with the mh

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

150watt halide might be a little weak for a 60cube unless you do mainly lower light corals.If it were mine I think I would do a led fixture,maybe one of the reefbreeders units.

4. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

those are only 120w fixtures tho and I cant just take back the gifts it was so thought out the 150 with a 24inch reef brite i think will be perfect for a 60 gallon i am not keeping clams and i am growing sps now under t5s so i think sps in the top 10in of the tank will do very well

5. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

120 watt can't be written off since it's less then 150. I had a 56 gallon with 6x39 watt t5s. 236 watts.. I have moved everything into a fifty gallon which is six inches wider and use the 120 watt reef breeders fixture and I bleached everything at 50%. So essentially i was using half of half of what they were used to in leds and it was too strong.

6. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

that sounds like something more then 50% of half would bleach how high did u have the light

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Very understandable to go with the gifted halide.My only advise on m/h bulbs is to go with a good name brand bulb even though they are exspensive,I tried a cheap ebay bulb when I was using halide it was pretty much a waste.The ebay bulb lost it's color spectrum quickly and burned out after three months of use.I found Pheonix bulbs to be good and not too pricey,I liked the 14k.

8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Both were same height above water about 8-10 inches. I still dont have the leds over 50% per channel. Reef breeders was like 180 shipped..1 year of electricy from the halide and your first bulb change and youll be 3\4 the way there. And for that matter do you know how old thebulb is,it may need replacing now

10. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

regardless of the age i dont know how old it is so i am buying a new bulb anyway it is a 14k and it seems a little to white for me so i will be looking at a new bulb when i but it over the tank i have yet to build a stand so i still have everything in my 55 still

11. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

The pheonix 14ks are good? I'm about to replace two 150hqis and what's the color like on them? Pure white or a hint of blue?

Ps sorry for thread jacking :)

I run a 75 with two 150w and 4 54w T5 and it's a little overkill. I think the one 150w with some kind of supplementation will be fine, whether you decide T5 or LED