Hanna Checkers for Ca/Alk/Mg/NO3

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Screwtape, Jun 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

This sounds potentially promising. Colorimeters for Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and Nitrate from Hanna.

Alk, Cal and Nitrate supposedly are going to be available in July which would probably be enough for me since I rarely test Mg anyway.

Of course the details will be the determining factor, such as price, resolution/accuracy, and how easy they are to use compared to a test kit. I'm very interested to see what they can come up with.

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/hann...e-colorimeter/

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Depending on price. I'd buy all of them. If i wasn't so lazy I'd tesat my water weekly. These will not allow me to make an excuse for not testing my water.

4. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm pretty excited about this and I'll most likely end up with all of them. I'm really happy with the Phosphate checker. I'm guessing/hoping they'll all be in the $40-$50 range. Looking forward to not having to best guess color charts and count drops anymore.

5. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

This is terrific! Subscribing... I didn't have time to read the full thread. Are they going to be working on combining them all in one? And how about calibration?

6. crank2211

I think they're all going to be separate units. Not an all-in-one deal..

7. Screwtape

Yeah I would guess separate units as well. Not sure about calibration with colorimeters because you zero out the unit with a clean vial with tank water before you test the color every time so theoretically that is your calibration, I think.

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Alk is coming soon (October)! Pre-orders are available.

Only goes up to 250ppm which is 14dkh, though. Not that it's an issue for me, I keep my alk in that range easily, some people push it up higher though. The resolution is pretty nice though at .1 ppm.

Marine Alkalinity pre-order for Hanna Checkers

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Are these something you just stick in some water? Sounds like they still use reagents. And if so... I don't see the point... Once I'm using reagents, I mine as well just finish it up manually.

They don't sound *easier* to use or *quicker*... only, possibly, more accurate... But it's not like my Salifert test isn't accurate.

Can someone elaborate on what the benefit of these are? I originally thought they'd be a quick and easy check much like my pH pen... but starting to have doubts on that.

12. crank2211

They're handheld digital photometers. I only have the phosphate one currently, but really like it so far.

Maybe not quicker, but certainly easier than standard tests I would say. Fill up the curvette with tank water to the line - add one packet of reagent and shake a bit - place in meter - press button. 3 Minutes later you have a digital readout.

Eliminates the need to try and interpret colors against color charts, mis-count drops or make best guesses while testing.