Hang on Refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by RogerL, May 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

i would like to add a hang on the back refugium. i am not sure what company makes them, but they dont require drilling or anything. how and what do i need to put in it? i do not have a sump, does that matter?

2. Click Here!

3. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

CPR (creative plastics research) makes them You can find them at most on line stores www.marinedepot.com or www.premiumaquatics.com. All you need to do is add algae, sand and or rocks  and a light fixture. do a web serch for JBJ fixutres depending on what size Fuge you get they have all sizes of lights. After that all you do is hang it on the tank, just like a giant power filter. I have the 12" model on 20 gal nano and since i added it i am skimmerless and have tons of pods and tiny shirmp that every so often escape to the main tank to be eaten by my corals.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds like it's working nice for you Apophis. :)

Here is a pic Roger:

[​IMG]

5. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

should a DSB go in the fuge? what model would be good for my 90g? and should i put any critters in there?

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Critter no
    dsb yah sure - as deep as the baffle will allow
    model # - as larger as your budget and size will allow

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Lots of good refugiums available on ebay. These are not name brand products but almost exact duplicates and they are cheap ! I bought a hang on unit for about $24 dollars. I also got a jalli 13 watt Power Compact fixture and light for about 15 bucks !

8. Click Here!

9. NEW80GLNREEFTANK

NEW80GLNREEFTANK Plankton

Do the hangons work good i set up my first refuguim ever and it is not working to good i dint put no baffles just 5inches of sand and macroalgae no skimmer nothing.so i was wondering maybe get a hang on and clean mine out now and use it for a sump i can throw a skimmer in there what do you guys think!

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=NEW80GLNREEFTANK link=board=Refugium;num=1052183375;start=0#6 date=07/19/04 at 13:39:23]Do the hangons work good i set up my first refuguim ever and it is not working to good i dint put no baffles just 5inches of sand and macroalgae no skimmer nothing.so i was wondering maybe get a hang on and clean mine out now and use it for a sump i can throw a skimmer in there what do you guys think![/quote]

Why do you say it isn't working too good? What seems wrong with it?

John

11. NEW80GLNREEFTANK

Well it works keeping nitrates down that tank is good but i keep getting macro-algae in the tank and the sand is always moving the algae will all go to one side of the refuguim!I think the hang on might be better because it will keep me out of it most of all harder to get to!

12. NEW80GLNREEFTANK

The pods and stuff will flow in the tank in one piece.And its an excuse to get rid of my seaclone and get a real skimmer!