Handguns

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by sticksmith23, Mar 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Not a reefing question at all I know, but I'm looking at buying a handgun and getting a concealed weapons permit. What do you all think is the best handgun out there for a guy on budget? It will still be awhile before I actually buy a gun though. It doesn't matter to much on the caliber right now.

2. Click Here!

3. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Rocket Launcher :)

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Lol^ a rocket launcher is definitely what you want!

There are a few recent threads here in the bucket about conceiled handguns and first guns. They might help a bit.:)

5. element

element Fire Worm

I carry an Xd45

6. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

Personally I love my glock 23, ive shot my share of firearms and have to say it is one of my favorite to shoot. I know a lot of people have glock hate mostly cause of the name they have acquired from rappers and stuff but no one can deny its reliability. Gun is 100 time more reliable than my sig p226 navy and sigs tend to have a reputation for being reliable. Also glocks are pretty cheap compared to hks, sigs, berettas, kimbers... Pretty much any other major name thats been around for a while.

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I just bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 and love it. The grip on all of the M&P's just felt better to me. I only went with the .22 caliber because I just use it for target shooting and wanted something that had cheap ammo but there are various other calibers for the M&P's.

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

That's the infamous question from folks who are going or just went thru a ccw course.

1. First and foremost, you need to know ALL your state and local laws about carrying. Next would be, are you aware of all consequences of drawing a weapon, and/or using it as a means to stop a threat?
    With the recent surge in people purchasing guns to carry it seems not enough emphasis is actually placed on these questions.

Assuming yes to the above...

2. What ever gun you carry, you should practice with, know it in and out (field strip and detail strip) for cleaning and to ensure it operates the way it should (to check for wear and so on), and lastly be a good shot with. As came up in another thread here recently, a snub nose .357 mag will not make a good 1st carry gun. :uzi:

3. The OTHER, costs associated...

a. For carry, you'll need a good THICK "gun" belt. You'll prob have to go online and cough up the $60+ minimum for a nice bullhide or other specific belt. This will ultimately prevent making carry uncomfortable by not bowing out and making you crank tight your soft normal belt to keep it against your body.

b. A QUALITY holster. Again, you'll prob have to go online as hardly any gun shops have QUALITY ones on their shelves. Decide on IWB or OWB, inside the waist band or outside the waist band style. This will cost you prob $50 min as well. I highly recommend you carry strong side (your shooting hand) at 3, 4 or 5 0-clock for right or 9, 8 and 7 0-clock for lefties. If you go inside the waistband, expect to go up a size or 2 on all pants you plan to carry in. crossbreed, galco, comptac are all great brands

c. A good safe. Even if you don't have kids or live alone, you need a good safe (and your state may even dictate it). Stay away from the fancy Bio finger readers and get a battery powered push button or a simplex it best. You can get small 1, 2, 5 pistol ones you bolt to the floor or the sky is the limit on the real deal. $110-150 MINIMUM for a 1 pistol size. Don't skimp here! There are hundreds of cases (again, in certain states) where folks lose their licenses for good after their house was broken into and guns were stolen from some garbage safe or they were just locked a closet or in a night stand and so on...

d. You'll need a cleaning kit, solvents, gun oil, gun lube, patches, rags, a mat to clean on, maybe a tackle box to throw that in. It will accumulate fast! A range bag, good safety glasses, ear muffs and plugs. Some decent electronic ones can be had for $40 bucks or so and are a terrific invention!

d. Join a local gun range/club. You'll need to practice somewhere right? (unless you have plenty of land and neighbors that don't care.)

4. Now get out and hold some guns! They are like cars. People like certain ones for certain reasons, some for aesthetic, others for utilitarianism. What feels good in your hand may not feel good in the hand of someone giving you advice on what gun to buy. Things to consider are ammo price and recoil.
    The 9mm is a great medium as it seems to be the best priced centerfire cartridge with "good enough":confused: ballistics with HP, hollow points and average recoil.
    S&W 40 is the next up with better ballistics and more cost and recoil.
    The 45 ACP would be next with better ballistics, cost and recoil.
    I left out a hundred other calibers as I believe this is simply the best starting point for a semi-auto consideration calibers. The Glock 19 is a premium choice. Not a baby size but not full size either. Takes a host of mag sizes if you wish. The reliability is second to none, and you can take the whole dern thing apart with one sized punch. Glock, Sig, Ruger, S&W, Remington and a host of 1911's from multiple companies is a good start. Don't be afraid to buy a quality used one. Many, many people buy some crappy gun just so they can get a "new" one as their 1st, then after it keeps jamming on them will trade it in for something better.
    Buy once, cry once. belt, holster, safe, gun(s)...

You thought reefing was expensive ::)

Good luck!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

FatBastad

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

No need for a ten page essay...

Taurus Revolver .357 Magnum.

Reliable, deadly, no questions asked.

[​IMG]

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+1 It is pricy, especially for certain calibers. I'd get a 9mm as the ammo is the cheapest comparative to stopping power, and the guns are reasonably priced and has the most options. Personally I don't like blocks solely because they don't fit my hand right. But they are AWESOME guns. I like my Springfield XD 9mm and S&W .40 MP. Likt FB said, ya really need to go to a store and hold some. Then just start shooting different types. During my CC class a guy let me shoot his Colt 1911 .45 special edition that cost $2500. I felt that extra $2000 over my guns in every shot. That thing was AWESOME to shoot.

But if you're buying to CC mostly and not shoot, get something on the small light side. IMO'
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/bucket/new-conceal-gun-any-thoughts-131882.html
    Nice gun, but big for a CC??

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

I had to add +1 to this.
    I love my XD45c .... ;D