hand washing

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dixiedog, Feb 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm afraid to stick my hands in the tank without washing them for fear they might be "dirty".

Then, I'm afraid to stick my hands in the tank because I can't rinse off the smell of the soap!

What do the experts do? Is there a special soap you use?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I worry about the same thing--I am a mechanic and use hand cleaner all day long--I would think bleach water would make your hands safe but I hate the smell--hard to get off--good question though

4. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

simple!! use gloves!!

5. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

Well - I dont think using gloves would really solve the problems unless the gloves were water tight. What I do is use a light detergent based sope (a foaming brand works good because its not usually that concintrated.). Wash good with that, than I dry my hands to make sure they still dont feel "soapy" and then I wash my hands for an equal amount of time with JUST water.. No soap... Scrub your hands good together and than I just dry with a paper towel. Might not be the best, but its what I have dont for years with no issue. Just make sure you DONT get any soap in the tank ;-)

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

water tight?

i use gloves that are about little less then shoulder length...i think it works fine

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I have had to wash my hands constantly since I started this!! I wash my hands before they go into the tank. I wash them again once I'm done and lotion up because my hands get super dry from the salt which makes me have to wash them AGAIN before I get back in the tank..... It's a vicious cycle.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Perhaps an alcohol hand wash would be safe? the type you use in hospitals?!
    I know it sounds silly - alcohol + tank. But i don;t think its concentrated and vodka is used in denitrators??

I haven't got a clue really - i just as said before wash wash wash

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If I put my hands in the tank after I wash them, I just make sure to wash them with just water really well, besides that, I dont' do anything special. It has worked so far.

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I would use either hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar. Using one or the other mixed with RO water & rinsing with RO water.

If you are a mechanic or work with harsh chemicals or soaps, I'd still recommend gloves.

12. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

where did you get the gloves you are talking about?