Hammer, Torch, or Frogspawn??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by punkydudey, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

there you go again being the blade to my twilight :p

[​IMG]

is this the grape coral your talking about? I guess we'll just have to wait for an "un-puckered" pic of the OP's coral to get a more solid ID.

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

i must have grape and frogspawn backwards...i have grape, torch, and frogspawn in my tank..

i have always believed this to be the cristata:
    [​IMG]

and this to be frogspawn:
    [​IMG]

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'm gonna agree with this. I don't see any resemblance to any bubble in any way. Hammer tips are not round; they're somewhat oblong or eliptical, or more accurately, "C" shaped--as some refer to as anchor-shaped. Torches tend to be long and stringy, and the ratio of tip circumference to stalk length is not there for it to be a torch.

Of course, these are my opinions only.

I've never heard of a grape, except with the racemosa variety of caulerpa--but if I know one thing, it's that I learn something almost every day in this hobby. EDIT: from a quick google search, it seems that the fine grape is a synonym for the frogspawn, Pack. Of course, I've learned not to get my information from any ONE place. I've not yet taken the time to research it further.

5. tkeck

tkeck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Did you use a putty to secure that coral to your rock?

6. punkydudey

punkydudey Astrea Snail

ya sure did, forgot the name of it though, if you want to know what is it i can let you know when i get home.

7. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Here's a closeup of what I always thought was a frogspawn, does yours look like this? Also, is this the putty you used, mine looks like yours does when it's dry. Nice coral, by the way!!

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. pstroh

pstroh Plankton

Its a frogspawn, I have all three in my tank. A hammer has a tip that looks like a hammer a frogspawn doesn't and is green with pink tips.

10. punkydudey

punkydudey Astrea Snail

Ya mine looks quite similar to that, really cant see if being anything else. But im going to try to get picks of it when i get home because it is at least 3 times the size now. Thanks for the praise on my coral as well, i think i got lucky. If anyone lives in Southern California i recommend this store: Coral Oasis, Inc.: Home they have great looking livestock (alot of it too) and a bunch of frag tanks. Anyways attached is the exact putty i used that i got from that store

Attached Files:

11. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Hammertime...

Pics of what I was TOLD are my hammer coral. In case this helps. I just threw the actinic picture in as a bonus because I like it! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

now thats a hammer !!! lol. and a fine specimen if i say so myself. showin off again eh? :)