Urgent Hammer coral tuning solid?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by monroe14, Jan 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. monroe14

monroe14 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My hammer coral has done some crazy things over the weeks but it looks like it's turning solid on the inside. This is about an hour before the lights go off and they are starting to dim (AI Sol Blue LEDS). Usually it tucks it's limbs inside but I've never seen it do this. It was just fine about an hour ago...well it wasn't fully open, but it didn't look like the image below.

I've attached the image below
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. monroe14

Okay it might be a false alarm the hammer is back to looking okay but not 100% normal by any means. I will keep an eye on it and report back. If someone could identify what is going on in the pic though that would be great. I'm just curious to see if that is normal as I've never seen it do it before.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Looks like typical nocturnal reaction to me Monroe 14
    my hammer, bubble and Elegance corals retract to a similar extent that yours has above
    every single evening after lights have been off for a couple of hours or so

how long have you had it
    it is possible that the coral is now finally adjusting to the illumination in your set up, and knows it is about to be night time and thus reacts accordingly

when you 1st get these corals, they are often from different time zones and it can take a while for them to adjust, which may be why when you 1st got it, for a period it stayed fully inflated even after lights went out

Steve

5. monroe14

Hmm that could be a possibility, we've had it for about 2 months now and I've never seen this. We just had a torch coral die today so I was just making sure. It's looking good right now so it's good to hear that it might be normal behavior.

6. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

I am going to have to agree with Steve on this one. It looks like a perfectly normal Hammer coral retracting it's polyps for the night.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What happened to your torch?

8. Click Here!

9. monroe14

The torch I think fell victim to the bubble coral. The bubble coral was in too high of flow so I moved it to a less flow area and I think it stung the torch last night. I failed to realize that the tentacles on the bubble coral are like 9" ....I guess I learned my lesson though =/