Hammer Coral Splitting or dying?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Jm'sRSM, Nov 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

i have this coral that isnt looking the best. i am 3000km away from my tank and its under the care of my parents. my dad said it isnt looking the hotest but he says the rest of the tank looks good. water params are decent, and a partial wc is done regularly.

po4 .25 hana light phosphate tester
    390 ca salifert
    8dkh salifert
    8.0ph (tested begining of the day)
    nitrate .2 salifert

here are a couple of pics showing the diff. in the second pic there is a void that wasnt there before in the skeleton, which leads me the believe it may just be splitting. what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

it lookes to be dieing IMO, when they spilt they usually dont close up all the way like that

4. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I got the pic to open up for me in a bigger screen. If no one messed with it and made it close up I would have to agree with ocean and catz that it maybe dieing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

when mine did that it died. IMO try moving it where it might have a bit more flow. I saved one of mine by doing that.

6. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

its always been it that same location and seemed to be happy enough. the only diff i see between the 2 diff pics is that my kenya tree dropped a couple of branches that ended up setting up shop in fairly close proxcimity (sp) to it. i asked him if he could see the skeleton and he said no, he said the "flowers" (he thinks they are plants) were out just not as full as they were before, needless to say i asked him to keep an eye on i'll be calling everyday for updates. i dont know when this pic was taken (time of day)

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Looks bad. Dying, IMO. Sorry to see / hear :( Good luck with it. Sucks being away from your tank with issues. I travel quite a lot and am frequently away from mine. Stressful to say the least.

8. Click Here!

9. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

i just dont know what would have caused it. how far will the polyps receed when they split? when i first got it the skeleton showed that much for a few days until it was adjusted. i think my dad was in the tank cleaning the glass, hopefully its just pissed.

10. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp