Hammer coral receding

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by stonewilled, Jan 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

Receding in three places. This looks pretty damn bad to me. I don't think its BJD. I don't know what to do. Suggestions, please.

Ammonia/nitrite 0
    nitrate 20
    PH 8.2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

whats your calcium/mag/salinity at? maybe they are low. you have enough light for that coral? t5s? MH? PCs?
    could something be eating it at night? hope you save it in time.. its a nice coral.

also can you spot feed it? plankton?

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Yea, that doesn't look good at all. The only thing that I can suggest is try to give it an iodine dip using lugol's solution. It may help, but it can also stress the coral out more. However, if the receding tissue continues, it will most likely kill the coral anyways.

5. stonewilled

Yes, I have enough light for it, 200 watts of t-5. I don't have a test for mag or cal. Salinity is 1.023 reading from my hydrometer lol. I plan on getting the API reef test that tests for cal and phosphate tomorrow. I need a refractometer as well. Next purchase.

About something eating it at night.. I uhh. haven't seen anything touch it since I put it in. Not even my clowns, which I Was a litttle saddenned by.

6. stonewilled

I thought the dip was for BJD?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Is it in too high of a flow area of your tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

you definitly need to know where your cal is at. I use kalkwasser mix and liquid kent calcium to dose my tank. if you dont do water changes every 2 weeks, probly low on calcium. may your lfs will test for free today.?

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

To make a skeleton, it will use Calcium. However, it can also use Magnesium, and Strontium interchangeably with the Calcium. The other element that is required for calcification is Carbon. That's why your alkalinity (degrees of CARBONate hardness) level is more important than your Calcium level. There's no other stand-ins for that element.

1 person likes this.
  11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It's not just for that. I use it as a general anti-biotic when I first get an lps frag. Just b/c there's no brown jelly doesn't mean that it's not a bacterial infection.