Hammer coral question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Night-Rida, Apr 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I've noticed my small hammer coral hasnt been itself lately for last 2 weeks.. it's usally inflates to about the size of a golf ball. usally, if my hammer is not happy, my frogspawn isnt either.. well in this case all my corals are happy happy, just my hammer.

my parms are good so is my lighting, just added 3 new bulbs in last few weeks. 2 uvl 454, and 1 ati blue plus.

now I just took a closer look to see why the hammer coral isnt expanding its little arms.. and noticed 2 holes/mouths. so I guess it in the process of splitting heads. my question how long does this take and how long until it starts to expand its little arms outward?

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Not sure on how long, but all my softies go through bad periods. I think it is just normal. I will all but write one off as a goner, and 2-3 days later they look better than ever. Wierd.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Could another coral be bothering it?

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

nothings bothering it. but it used to have 1 large mouth, now I see 2 mouths... and instead of it being a circle shape body, it looks like a two half circles..

used to be: 0 shape
    now two mouths: 8 shape

so I guess its growing into 2 parts now.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I get what you're saying. The only time mine did that was when my brain coral was bothering it. I moved the brain over and now the hammer looks normal again. But that's not your problem...so maybe it is splitting?

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

One of the heads of my torch had 4 mouths and was in a very weird shape when I got it, now one of the heads is nearly separated and the others are still connected. It might very well be branching. Grats!

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

thanks, I just miss it when its fully expanded.. it looked like a shriveled up prune for 2 weeks+.. branches must take forever to form without MH lights...

10. BradJo9

BradJo9 Astrea Snail

I have the same problem. the coral was about the size of a golf ball then i moved it in the tank and noticed that the heads split and when i touched it it came apart into two heads. I grabbed some plugs and netted them to keep them from blowing them away and for the past 2 or 3 days they have been very flat. any suggestions? more food? more flow? more light? less of all?

Attached Files:

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

more light less flow. usally.

12. UnderTheSea

UnderTheSea Feather Duster

Tell me about it, my Colt is still splitting...