Hammer coral problem

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by rossco838, Jan 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

I have this hammer coral and for the last week it has not extended fully, today it looks like this. I just started keeping corals so I'm unsure what to do. All other corals are fine, sps included. Parameters are n03-0-2ppm P04-.03Mag-1350Alk-11dkhCalcium-440

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Mine always took a while to fully open when introduced into my tank.

Maybe it needs more time.

4. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

You didn't mention flow rate. My hammers like a little bit of flow. Not direct just some movement.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I have added a wall frogspawn, 2 different branching frogspawns, a branching hammer, and a wall hammer that I accidently fragged when placing. All 5 looked amazing and huge in the store and took a solid week to look half as good in my tank. For the first month or so they seem to be very unpredicable where they open slowly with the lights, stay open to varying fullnesses during the day, and then close before the lights go out for the night. After about a month they remain fully open all day and look amazing and only retract partially at night.

Basically what Im saying is I think frogspawns and hammers just take a really long time to fully acclimate to a new tank and new conditions. Just be patient and monitor

6. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

I've had the coral for about 3 weeks. It has a koralia 550 on a smart wave on the opposite end of the tank. The coral is not in a lot of flow by any means
    The tank is a 3 foot 65 gallon

7. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

All of my other euphyilla are doing well i have a branching frogspawn, bubble and a torch and they are fine.

8. Click Here!

9. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

Just looked at it again since I took those pictures 5 hours ago and it now looks like this.

Attached Files:

10. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Only one 550 on that big of a tank

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Coral looks deflated but I ldont see any signs of disease in the picture. It seems hammers are even more picky than others like frogspawn and bubble in there lighting and flow conditions.
    Does it ever infate normally or is that the best its looked?

12. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

Mag 9 return and a koralia 750 on the opposite side.. The 550 will be another 750 once I get a new cover... It is normally "inflated"