hammer coral growth

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by swjunior95, May 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swjunior95

swjunior95 Plankton

when will my hammer coral (the first 3 ones shown and the attached thumbnail) look like the other one (4th picture) and is mine healthy its got purple tips and a green stem and 5 heads
    003.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      387.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Moved to coral board.

Your new one only has a few heads. Depends on a lot of factors with water chemistry and lighting. Assuming the big one is in the same tank, maybe 6 months? Total guess based on my hammer experience. My last one grew fairly fast.

4. swjunior95

swjunior95 Plankton

Sorry I didn’t give enough information the glowing green one is a picture from the internet. Also the salinity is at 1.022, high range ph somewhere between 8.2-8.4, nitrate at 0ppm (for the first time in a long time) there is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. I use concentrated calcium (150000) every other day, and feed zooplanktōs-S every day once a day. The lighting is a coralite high output T5 with 10000k daylight and an actinic bluelight.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If you dosing Ca, you need to test for it. Keep it around 400-420 for optimal growth. The picture from the internet looks to be a little different type of hammer, it's ends are more curved then yours. IMO, yours will look more like a frogspawn as it grows. There are also wall hammers and branching hammers. Your's appears to be a branching hammer. The internet pic may be a branching hammer too, but you can't tell unless you can see the skeleton. It's really hard to say how fast a coral will grow. It depends on light, tank parameters, how much you feed it etc. Some may grow quickly others may grow slower it can even depend on each individual coral. If you can target feed it, and keep you parameters up, it should grow fairly quickly IMO.

6. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Might want to raise your SG to 1.025

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Good call, you will be able to have higher Ca and Alk levels too.