Halides - UV Shields?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So the rule of thumb appears to be the only halide bulbs that need UV shields are HQI. All other halide bulbs have protection from the outer-sleeve of the bulb so they say.

However, my medium base non-HQI Iwasaki bulb that came in the mail has warnings all over the instructions about running it without a UV shield.

What's that about?

:-/

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Very odd Matt. Do they have 2 layers of Glass or just one?
    I looked at my Ushio and they only have one layer.

any piece of glass will block UV light. But because of the heat you may want to find a Temp rated piece to add as a screen.

J

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It's got one.
    I have glass over most of the tank, so that should help.
    I wrote Iwasaki, I'll post back when I hear from them.

5. Iceman30

Iceman30 Astrea Snail

All bulbs I have seen say a warning about not running them without THE uv shield..the glass around the bulb..but Iwaski bulbs are not true MH bulbs, so it may be diffrent.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Iceman how are Iwasaki bulbs not real halides? I've never heard that one. :-/

7. Iceman30

Iceman30 Astrea Snail

they are actually Mercury vapor bulbs...PFO sells an EYE ballast designed to run only Iwaski bulbs..and will not fire MH bulbs...A regular MH ballast will fire it, but it will over drive it.

DESIGNED TO OPERATE ON MERCURY BALLAST HOWEVER MOST RUN ON STANDARD METAL HALIDE WITH VERY LITTLE LOSS IN OUTPUT OR COLOR
    http://www.pfolighting.com/new pfoAq/AQFrames.htm

I'm not downing the bulb, awesome PAR !!! The best growth of corals seem to come under these bulbs..I just do not like the color JMO

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow.. I gotta check that out, thanks Iceman.
    By the way, the typical Iwasaki 6500k I am not a big fan of 'looks' wise either, but I got one of those 50k (misnomer, actually 14k) Iwasaki bulbs.. only made in 150 watt. It's amazing! Perfect blue white color. It blows me away. :eek: Really happy with it so far - 1 month in.

10. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I am working on a DYI lighting for my tank; I am now looking at the Iwasaki
    250,400 lights, I am not planning on corals for a will, but I want better lighting than what came with the tank.