Halide acclimation question (4/16 bulb?)

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin_E, Apr 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'm curious, how much will my corals "color up" under halides? They're fairly brown, but fluoresce under moon lights. I am hoping that they color up naturally and not be "masked" by heavy blue lighting. Right now, only the florescent colors pop under blue lighting. Should I expect the natural colors of the coral to come back in time under this halide or will they always appear brown under a 14k bulb without blue enhancement?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Changes in coloration can take a very long time to notice. If the corals have adequate nutrition, and the phosphates are controlled, you should see an improvement in coloration but it might take weeks.

My bulb is a 14k and I do not see any decline or browning of coloration.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Great. I figured it would take time, just wasn't sure if a bluer light was required to see color or if the corals will naturally color up without them. I see the moonlights as putting lipstick on a pig, if you catch my drift.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Have a little diatom dusting. Sign of a bad bulb or the tank still adjusting to the new lighting? (the bulb is 6 months old)