Haitian Live Rock!?!?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by ethompson, Apr 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ethompson

ethompson Plankton

:-/ I am looking at purchasing live rock for my 75 gallon that is on the way. I have shopped it quite a bit and I have come accross Haitian live rock but I've never heard of any personal experiences with it.

100 lbs. of uncurred for $289 shipped

It is very coralline encrusted Lettuce Coral heads so is has great shapes.

My question is this...is this live rock going to be light and porous so it will be good for biological filtration or is this going to more dense than most liverock.

If you have seen this stuff or have heard any comments please enlighten me.

Thanks

e

2. Click Here!

3. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

From what I have heard, Its heavier than fiji but lighter than floridian. But for 289 shipped sounds like a good deal to me

4. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Haitian live rock is actually very light as compared to Fiji rock. 100lbs for a 75 gallon will fill it out nicely. Only trouble is, there is not as much variety in shape and size. Haitian is great for ledge rock...making overhangs and arches.

You will be very happy with the ease of aquascaping with Haitian, but it may not blow you away with its color variation. But it will provide you with adequate biological filtration, which is really the intended purpose of using live rock.

Good luck and please post pics.

5. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

I am setting up a 72 gal and would like to know where you got that deal on the live rock. That is if you dont mind sharing.

6. NUHTTY

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

beat me to it :)

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm...i can only find fiji, tonga and somtimes solomon island rock at my lfs(s) ...im to scared to buy online lol...

10. NUHTTY

I have never bought live rock online, but many people I know have and only had good experiences. I would stick with a better known retailer. etropicals.com is good (same as liveaquaria).