Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by m_lacom99, Oct 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all i've been looking through this site for posts on hair algae, found a couple but not enough info for me. So all you guru's out there

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF HAIR ALGAE

It started a couple months ago, just a little, ripped it out....
    than more, and more and more.... so couple weeks ago went to my LFS and asked the guy what to do... he told me do a water change but rip out what i can and siphon the water out with the algae. Take out as many as i can... Then for 10 days turn off the lights just leave the actinic blue on for 8 hours a day. and the rest of the algae will die off.

WRONG

its been 2 weeks now and the algae is still growing, allot less, just little spots but still... its growing

What should i do just leave it or do something?

Is there any critters or fish that eat that stuff?

Thanks.

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What is your calcium and alkalinity at? How old are your bulbs? What are your nitrate/phosphate/silicate levels at?

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

My bulbs are a month old.... just changed them, but the problem started before i bought the new ones

Calcium = 420
    alkalinity = don't remember exactly but it was fine this weekend when i tested, will test tonight
    nitrate = 0
    phosphate = 0

My PH is high though but the guy at my LFS told me the algae was the reason for the high PH

what is silicate???

5. NaH2O

NaH2O Astrea Snail

Silicates are in water and sometimes can cause issues with algaes such as diatoms.  Are you using RO/DI water, if so, are the membranes still good/is the TDS reading low?  Sometimes when we test for phosphates it will come up zero even if there is some present.  The algae will use it up and it won't be present in the water column.  What you can try is taking the water sample down near where the algae is growing and see if you get a phosphate reading.  One thing about hair algae  - it is really really good at capturing detritus, which in turn helps feed the algae.  Have you been blowing at the algae with a turkey baster to free up the particles that are trapped?  Blowing off the live rock will help waste and detritus from collecting, and IMO should become a part of regular tank maintenance.  Do you have a protein skimmer that is running well?  I have found with my own hair algae battles, that manual removal sometimes spores the algae out, and creates an even bigger problem.  I let my hair algae grow some to absorb the nutrients, then did a big harvest/manual removal.  I have a lot of junk coming out of my rock still (new tank I used uncured rock to cycle), and it caused big problems.  How is your water change schedule?  Astrea snails did some nice work in my tank, too.  I have a wide variety of snails, but the astreas seemed to target shorter patches.

I feel for ya, any algae is frustrating, and nothings worse than a tank of hair algae.  At least when the non-reefers come over, they think the hair algae is pretty.  "Wow, I love the way that green stuff flows in the water" (actual quote from a guest at my house) - LOL.  Hang in there!

6. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

i had the same problem two weeks ago. i did some checking around and decided to buy a lawnmower blenny. he took right off and started feasting right away. two weeks later im heading to the lfs today after work to get an algea disc he ate it all and is now hungry. its worth a try it worked well for me.

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I use RO water only but i buy it from the grocery store, they have this big machine... cost about 3 bucks for 18 liters (almost 5 gallons), my skimmer is working good. Ill try your suggestions NaH20, thanks...

8. Click Here!

9. NaH2O

NaH2O Astrea Snail

Dano - good to hear your blenny eats other foods. Lawnmower blennies often do not fair so well without a natural food source. If your tank allows for the addition of one and you can find one that eats food then it would be a good choice for clean up. One thing to keep in mind, you still need to get to the root of what is fuelling the algae, or else it will be a continual battle, at least that is my opinion.

10. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I was thinking of a yellow eye kole tang but im not sure they eat hair algae, what do you guys think??? Plus i did a couple of changes since the problem started so ill see how it goes.

Thanks guys... [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Marc.

11. NaH2O

NaH2O Astrea Snail

The Kole Tang won't help with the hair algae, however they are a very cool fish. Their tooth/mouth structure is more for things like diatoms over hair algae.

12. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

ok so no kole tang... probebly will get one anyways cause they are a cool fish...

so its back to picking at algae i guess....