H2O2 - Peroxide dosing for Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DevinH, Mar 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Rodi is 0 TDS, there's no free floating food going into the tank to add excess nutrients. Gha is a very hardy and troublesome algae that keeps on going.

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Not without something feeding it. Good luck.

Where did you get your rock? Possibly leaching PO4?

4. DevinH

The tank will be a year old in may. Do you think it would leach that long into its life? I had live rock from the previous owner and then added some dead rock from reefcleaners.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I don't know. I know you have a nutrient issue...whether it be from your rock, feeding, RO/DI, etc. GHA will die off if it has nothing to feed off of. You don't have to use chemicals to kill it. Manually remove (pull) as much out as you can. If it comes back within a week, you have a major issue.

Invest in a Hanna PO4 (Phosphate) Checker. After you remove the GHA, wait a day, and test for PO4. It should give you a reading over 0.00. With the GHA in the tank full force, you can get false readings because the GHA, or other algaes are consuming the nutrients.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Devin, I could have sworn I thought it was you that had a thread running that showed how a good clean up crew was able to get at your algae problem in maybe a previous tank or the beginnings of your current one? I'm just surprised you're not going the CUC route....

7. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

We hydrogen peroxide often in my research laboratory. Its labelled toxic, highly corrosive, and not to be used without proper personal protection etc. It is also not allowed to be poured down the sink and must be taken away by chemical waste collection.

I have NO IDEA why you would consider using something to toxic in a marine system.

8. Click Here!

9. spudsy69

spudsy69 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 10gal I've thought about doseing with peroxide. Just one or 2 times to. C if it hlpswith the hair algae

10. DevinH

I had a trigger tank and they ate a majority of the cuc more than a few months ago. Now I just restocked jt

It can't be corrosive to the skin considering I normally use it to clean out cuts.. Many others have dosed with peroxide with success.

11. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

3% peroxide will not harm the tank. But why not do a algae scrubber. Very simple to do off a drain. Then just out some light on it. Pull some gha off and rub it on the screen to get it going.

12. DevinH

I really want to, however I have no room.