H2O2 - Peroxide dosing for Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DevinH, Mar 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I have had some Green Hair Algae (not much) that has plagued my tank, but has not progressed at all. This thread is to keep track to see how it works.

I will be treating my tank with 3% H2O2, aka Peroxide. I will treat 1ML per 10 gallons (so in my case of 75+30 sump) 10 ML daily for 7 days for a total of 70 ML used.

No carbon will be ran during this treatment

Inhabitants currently CUC and 1 Snowflake Eel

By Tuesday I will have 4 corals.

Here are the start pictures

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

That looks like quite the young tank, and it's not really that bad. Personally I would not jump to this extreme at this time.

5. DevinH

The tank will be a year old in May, I don't even want there to be a potential for an outbreak when I have corals in there so I figure let's get with it now rather than getting 8 corals and it becoming a problem

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

What is your water volume?...not tank sizes. I agree with evolved. I would let it run its course, naturally. I would also figure out why you have a nutrient issue to begin with. Fix that, and your algae issues will disappear.

7. DevinH

I've had it for months. It came when my rodi wasn't producing 0 TDS and never went away even with nothing in there except a lightly fed eel

8. Click Here!

9. DevinH

After the first day my skimmer was near full of greenish algae skimmate. It appears there's a little dying.

10. DevinH

Just an update, I still have algae and I don't see too much of a die back now, skimmer still pulled out just a little bit. I now have another cleanup crew I'm currently adding.

11. DevinH

Update..it appears the Green Hair Algae is actually [growing] now rather than remaining the same size that is has been..the cause of this? I'm not sure. I'm not feeding anything but an eel once every few days with a small piece of krill. Hopefully the Clean Up Crew can demolish this. I'm also running GFO in a reactor and have been for about a week now. Hope this isn't becoming a problem.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Nothing happens overnight. Too many changes due to rash decisions can do more harm than good. You still have a nutrient issue somewhere. RO/DI not producing pure? Lack of nutient export...poor skimmer, not enough water changes...too many water changes with TDS above 0...

Find the problem, fix it and the algae will dissipate on its own.