H. Hippopus

Discussion in 'Clams' started by MDeth, Mar 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Can anybody give me a site that gives some in-depth detail of this clam? I know a bit about every other one 'commonly' sold in the hobby, but the Hippopus is news to me :p.

The one i saw from google image looked crazy. How do their light requirements compare to the others?

2. Click Here!

3. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

there lighting requirements are on par with Crocea and Maxima. oddly enough most retailers list them as "low light clams" which in IMO is absurd because of where they are found in the wild, maximum depth of about 6m. ill look to see if i have any links about them

4. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

5. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

1 person likes this.
  6. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

:) thank you! I think this will be my first "show clam" when my g/fs 55g is setup in FL!

7. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I never knew clams did PCP ::)

T. mbalavuana ?? Just found out this exists also. Anybody ever seen these for sale? It would be a nice 'rare' piece :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

they are very rare in the wild. found only in Tonga and the Lau Islands. also reported to be a few on the eastern outskirts of the GBR. i doubt we will ever see them in the trade.

heres anther extremely rare one. T. Rosewateri found only on the Saya de Malha Bank in the Indian Ocean

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

MDeth, If I were you, I would go with one of the easier and more popular Squamosa or Durasa Tridacna! They tend to have more coloration and design characteristics and as a SHOW clam would be more interesting and beautiful to view!
    Their lighting requirements aren't as demanding either. I would try to get a clam that is atleast 3" in size also so that the food addition isn't as crucial as their irridiphores and zooxanthellae colonies will have taken hold and grown in the clams mantle!

11. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I'm about half serious about any at this point :p

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible :)

T. mbalavuana - does look very crazy though ;)

12. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm