Guppy Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by yptozmy, Mar 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Hi guys,

I am an active hobbiest with Saltwater fish and can easily, for the most part, take care of them without much difficulty.

My question, however refers to Guppies with Freshwater or "brakish" water.

The Wal-mart that I visit, unlike other Wal-mart stores, has an excellent success rate of fish, very rarely have I had fish bought from there that have died, or have even seen dead fish in their store. (Pet departement employee of the month)? ;)

Question:

All the water in all of the fish stores, flows through all of the tanks, even tanks that have guppies in them. So would you suggest, that I add salt to my own tank at home, regardless that the water at Wal-mart flows through the same tanks? The sign under the tank recommends adding salt for guppies, but do you guys think they have added salt themselves, eventhough the water flows through all the tanks?

Thanks to those of you who help!

2. Click Here!

3. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I never add salt for guppies, they seem to do fine without it.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Salt should be added with the initial setup and only replaced with water any water changes like if you change 10 gallons of water in a 29 gallons tank, add 2 tablespoons of salt I always added 2 tablespoon if unidolized or aquarium salt or kosher salt to 10 Gals of tank water.Having salt added to the water always good for Guppies mollies and platys and any live bearer after these are really brackish water fish and it makes the produce a better slime coat and heps ward off disease . If its a mixed tank then 1 Tbl of salt as some tetras and betta and loaches will not tolerate salt all that well. But in low dosages it also helps them .

5. fish-aholic 94

I’ve never addend salt. I’ve had guppies live to the ripe old age of 5 years, happy and healthy.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hey had there been salt maybe he would have seen 6 or 7 yrs old ?

7. fish-aholic 94

The life span of a guppy is 1-3 years.
    If you want to add salt, it wont hurt the fish, but I don’t think it will do anything.