Guppies for food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Airborneguy, Apr 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Flamingo Tongue

I was thinking about using two ten gallons I have to breed regular guppies for food so that I have live food for the fish which I know where it came from. Any issues with this?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not a good idea to use them for saltwater fish feedings . They like Gold fish and any F/E fish can carry a bacterial problem to the marine fish.. I have never sen t or experienced it when I used Goldfish as lion fish food . But years a go my son lost a Lion and then a 2nd one also and then my other son lost a Ell and a Dwarf Lion then I had a at that time a very respected expert & friend to tell me the feeding of the F/W fish where the problem. They stopped Its never happened again.. Just feed frozen silversides if its marine fish you are going t be feeding..

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hey Tang - does this also apply to things like mollys that are both salt and fresh??

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Honestly I'm not sure if even what I said applies :) I just know I had no problems and my son did twice then my younger son had an issue he stopped feeding the f/w fish and he has not have another until he broke the tank down. But when it was happening I called a old friend and that was what he told me to look out for seems he had had several to tell him the same problem ..
    Thats what he came up with.. After he had a few dead animals studied and they found a common strain of bacterium in them all and he just added 2 = 2 and got the 4 .. That was 20 yrs ago when we just took a persons word for it :) I'm sure there have been studies and Data on it now ? Some one may want to research it ? Not me LOL I just know none ever had a problem again after I repeated that information. Mollies ? If converted to F/W I'd suppose like guppies could carry the germ ? When ever I had a meat eating fish since that info I just used live silversides until I weaned them to frozen then on to pellets and then to flakes and froxen what evers. Its been 20 Plus yrs since I had meat eaters :)

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Mo mollies either. Very prone to diseases ;)

7. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the info, looks like I'm gonna stay away from it.

8. Click Here!

9. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

F/W fish don't carry the same nutrients and proteins as far as I know. I've read that F/W feeding in the marine tank can lead to malnutrition.

Evan.