GSP & Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by kutsujutc, Jan 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kutsujutc

kutsujutc Spaghetti Worm

So the last few weeks at the LFS I have been eyeing a fist sized piece of green star polyps and a nice pulsing xenia frag. I decided to pick up both items. Took them home and acclimated them and inserted them into the tank. The xenia has not pulsed and is now 'melting' away. The green star polyps have not come out since buying them. They have both been in the tank for a week now. This is the second GSP piece I have had that has done this. It says care level is easy yet I cant seem to keep them?? Any ideas? What details do you need? :(

2. Click Here!

3. Recliner

Recliner Flamingo Tongue

What are your water parameters?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

GSP sometimes need to be in an area of mod to higher flow. It can stay closed for long periods and still make an excellent recovery.

Xenia is just weird. For me it likes a higher pH.

As with any coral issue a listing of parameters and an image helps to trouble shoot the issue.

Moved to-----Soft Corals.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

SOme basic info such as your aquarium and how long its been up, filtration methods, lighting, etc. Also some basic parameters mostly your SG, pH, kH, CA,Mag, Nitrate, phosphates

Xenia is a funny coral, it may melt away and then come back and take over your whole tank. Some people can keep it with ease and others cant keep it alive if their lives depended on it. The main thing with both xenia and GSP is they do not like too much light and they prefer the water be a little dirty and not pristine like acros and other sps. I kept xenia alive under a single T8 bulb before upgrading my lighting in a newly set up tank but it did not look real good for a couple months, then it took off with growth and I weed it out and throw out 10 or so stalsk a week

6. kutsujutc

kutsujutc Spaghetti Worm

210G
    7 Bulb T5 and lights need to be replaced very soon. They are about 14 months old.
    I have the GSP placed in the middle of thank where its low flow and alot of light.
    I'll have tank parameters shortly.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I had Xenia in my 55 mixed reef, and it never pulsed, but it was starting to spread fast. It was higher up in the tank, medium flow, moderate lighting. I moved it to my 46 bow, low in the tank, lower flow, and lower light and it pulses like crazy! Although it has not grown as fast from what I can tell so far.

Xenia is weird as mentioned!

8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

14 months and they should have been replaced 3 months ago is what should have said.. Not need to be replaced soon :)

10. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Xenia is weird, couldn't keep it in several tanks, in my 46 bowfront it grows like a weed