GSP - Removal?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Reefbuilder, May 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Okay - so I don't want this to turn into an oh I hate GSP or oh I love GSP thread. I happen to like it in certain scenarios. What I am not liking is early on I added some in an area that is now a main focal point of my tank and it is encroaching on and taking over some areas I do not want it to. Without pulling out the rocks - what is the best easiest way to remove it?

I have been able to peel some of it off and added it to plugs and gave them away... Thoughts? Ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

if I were you I'd take out the rocks and try and save as much of it as I can and frag them on to plugs. more money in your pokect is good imo

4. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

but if you wantes to kill it off, then I think kalk paste would work

5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Haha, I guess there are a number of ways.

Simplest method I think would be to turn off your pumps, take a razor blade, and scratch it off.. scoop up with net.

You could get more sinister, and treat it as aiptasia. And do similar schemes to eradicate:

boiling water via syringe, lemon juice, boiling lemon juice(microwave in a shotglass for 15sec), hydrogen peroxide..

BTW, if you choose to do the scrap method.. I'll send you my address so you can send me the "trash"

[​IMG]

Sataly likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Take a razor and peel. Also, some corals will actually keep it from spreading. My palys keep it in its own area

zesty likes this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I'd go for a multi-pronged approach. I like the peel suggestion and if I were doing, I'd start there.

Peel off as much as you can.
    Kalkpaste/superglue/peroxiode/lemon/acid... you got this part

From the sounds of your situation, this would be something I would try. Once you got it peeled back and a DMZ of chemical napalm laid down, get some rubble rock and build a wall on top of your DMZ. Then if (when) the GSP starts to get out of hand, grab that piece of rubble with all the GSP, rip it out of there, place a clean one back in it's place and then throw that hairy green rock at someone!

Not knowing your scape or the details will definitely play a big part in this idea... I guess my idea is to think about the DMZ and how to make it available for maintenance.

Swisswiss likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Can we see a picture?
    I love gsp but can't get it to grow in my tank

zesty likes this.
  10. Reefbuilder

uploadfromtaptalk1430517425148.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430517433879.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430517441696.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430517449697.jpg As you can see its on a nice shelf ledge it is not moving....lol

It is pretty closed up now as I was messing with it.

uploadfromtaptalk1430517425148.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430517433879.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430517441696.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1430517449697.jpg

zesty likes this.
  11. Reefbuilder

Rocks are not coming out - this is on a ledge that is "permanent" it would end up taking a major overhaul to do so. Next time rocks come out is when I am setting up my 300DD :)

I would be concerned of the other corals around and my Nem that lives under it.

Yes been using a plastic card pulling off some just need to take a little more time to do so. It grew over some zoas.

Come to LI I will give you a softball size rock of it :)

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

yikes... that's a little different than I was picturing.

I would still go for the scraping and then you might just have to keep up with that DMZ zone and keep that gsp from spreading. I can't think of anything that is going to stop it from going up that ledge with those zoas on there...

man...

ok, I got it for ya. Do a large water change, drain the water below the shelf, get out the sawzall out, cut the tip off the shelf. Glue that new rock tip to the back wall and keep it away from your rocks! (or something....) I doubt you can glue a rock to the wall....