GSP Question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by omgiv, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi Guys,

I just got some GSP in two days ago and was wondering if something weird is going on. I understand that it is perfectly normal for a new coral to not open up for several days. There seems to be a white film of top of some of the mat and I was wondering if this is normal. I can try to grab a pic but don't know if I can get it on camera. Thanks in advance!!!!

Regards,
    Ivy

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

the mat on my gsp is purple. this could be a case of it acclimating itself. might not be totally happy yet. very hardy coral and should come around quickly.

1 person likes this.
  4. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks for the quick response. The mat is still purple but there is a white film on top of part of it. I am probably going to regret getting it but needed something hardy. Thanks again!!!!

Ivy

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

if your params are good it should be fine. I had a GSP mat that took about 4 days to come out. I did have high Phosphates in my water so once I ran some Phoslock on the tank the GSP came out vibrantly within a few hours.

Do you know your in-depth water params or do you have other corals that are doing fine?

1 person likes this.
  6. divott

divott Giant Squid

nah you wont regret it. if it looks gettin out of hand, peel some off or cut it back. then get some store credit. lol. ive got mine working up my overflow. think it looks better than the black or coraline. :)

7. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

love to see a pic

8. Click Here!

9. Sal

Sal Plankton

so how purple is the matt suppose to be? I just got one of these too, and the matt is more pink/grey to me but the coral seems to be doing okay, it generally is out and flowing

10. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

see if you casn brush the white film off. it might be an uncrusting sponge and if left alone it will smother it out. Now as it grows and spreads it will look a whitish color where the new is coming in

1 person likes this.
  11. divott

divott Giant Squid

sorry if i hijacked again. lol. in the middle of the pic the gsp is starting to work its way up the overflow. hopefully it makes it to the top and is one big flourescent, wavy mass. its got quite a ways to go yet. and for sal, should be able to see the purple mat there also.

guy

Attached Files:

12. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

awesome, i agree it looks much better