Urgent GSP Covered in Stringy Sponge?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ashevillian, Jan 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

So do you think I could do a FW dip, or like we mentioned before, putting in a cup with tank water and using a tooth brush to scrape away white material then rerinse GSP and place in a better location and superglue it to the LR?

Really don't want to lose my GSP because all other frags sell for more than what I paid for, it looks great under actinics, and it's a very pretty addition

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'd use the brush and try to remove the sponge. Just get the GSP to close fully all over and you can have it out of the water for quite awhile.
    I don't like the fresh water idea. You may do harm to the coral polyps. Freshwater dips cause cells to implode. Rare in anything but SPS but it's happened.
    Maybe cut away the infected area and discard.? The healthy part will regrow in time.

4. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

There you go, I figured someone else would come along with some advice for you. Good Luck! Thanks for jumping in on this Reefmonkey I wasn't sure about the freshwater dip either so I shouldn't have suggested that part. Thanks for the other opinion. :)

5. Ashevillian

Thanks for chiming in you guys it sucks seeing anything in your tank diminish

Scary part about discarding part of it is that it may still stay there, today the GSP looks happy even though it has that junk all over it.

I can super glue GSP right?

And scrub out of water would be the best? I hate F'ing with things like these but it's like I don't have much to lose either. Just wish I knew wth was going on that way I can find a better solution.

I will try brushing all this junk off and give it a few days to see what happens.

6. Ashevillian

Well I did what you guys suggested, brushed all that white stuff off as best I could.

In the process the GSP broke into 3 different frags which I superglued to different locations in my tank I would like it spread, not on any sponges or near other corals

Going to just keep an eye on it and hope for the best

The other day I brushed off the main part that was having problems and the "white stuff" came back in full force 2 days later :-(

Wish I knew what it was on my GSP and why.

7. Ashevillian

bump -- still would like a few people to glance at this and maybe come up with a what and why and what to expect next! Thanks everyone!