gsp alive after tank dosed with coppersafe...

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by JohnFritts, Sep 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

Ummm..
    So yea, I have a lil rock in my QT tank and it was dosed with CopperSafe about 2 weeks back for my clown that was not doing too well with it's battle with Ick...

So when I went to do a 1g water change in the 5g QT, I noticed that there is a GSP that is growing outta no-where on the rock. From my understanding, the CopperSafe would of killed the polyps (if there were any) so how is this possible?

After looking closer, and I mean REALLY close -- I also see like 4 very small snails moving around. (i just used a marker to place dots where they are now so I can go check back in about 30 minutes to see how they are moving)..

Am I going nuts in thinking this CopperSafe stuff would kill that stuff (specially seeing how it says it on the freaking container) ...?!?!?

-fritts

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

did you have an extremely weak mixture???? you are very correct, those inverts should have been toast....conside them... unholy :devil1:

4. JohnFritts

It says to use 1 teaspoon for every 4 gallons... I actually used 1 and a half....

This was the first water change I was going to do because after the clown passed, I was just going to end that QT tank and turn it into a lil fuge... But wife talked me into keeping it up as a QT so I was gonna do my water change and then go forward and figured that in about 15 days I should be able to use it as a normal QT again.

so yea.. I'm super confused.. to the point that I'm gonna pick up a copper test kit on my way home from work Monday night and test it then....

I'm just really confused.

and IN the time from my last post, all 3 snails have moved about a half an inch, and they are moving in different directions..

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thats weird, any invert should have died

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Never under-estimate the hardy-ness of GSP's. They are the highlander of corals.
    Also, with the snails, do you use the same siphon on your display tank as you do the QT? Its possible they could have hitch-hiked on the siphon tube itself, after the dosing.

7. JohnFritts

Noperz,
    I don't share tank hardware between my tanks. Each one has it's own "git'up" of stuff.

Took some water into my lfs today and the copper test showed nothing...... So, he refunded the funds I spent on the coppersafe and I gave him the remaining bit.

I ran a massive water change as a result when I got home.
    Took out my clown and then did an 6g (remember only an 8g tank) change. I'll give it a day or two then get my clown back into his house. (just wanna be SUPER careful)...

Also picked up two maroon clowns for the wife. Her birthday is this month and it sure made her happy;) Now her corals are not alone.. hehe

Here in about 6 weeks, I'll be picking up some pulsing zenia? for my tank and putting my anenome in there to be with my clown. Other than that, just back to normal now I guess.
    -fritts

oah yea!
    While I was @ the lfs, some guy traded in a 6g all-in-one setup (like the bio/nano cubes) which I picked up for 17.00 and now have it sitting at the VERY top of my desk. That will be my mini frag-setup .. anywho, there is a better place to put all this and I'll start that post later. ;)

-fritts

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Is your LFS Worlds Under Water?

10. JohnFritts

NO! -my co worker already told me to stay away from that place as they have very old stock-

This was from the tropical place in Rogers. Which, after this, I will Never return there. Specially after I had to literally fight with the guy for him to do the copper test then listen to him tell me that the water was not from the tank that I dosed... So after the money exchange, I quickly took off and went to the other place..

So I went back to my "Salt Water Depot" in Centerton and made my decision to use him from now on no matter what.

He is the one that set me up with some goodies.. He (guys name is Brent) is always willing to have a chat about stuff too. Which, being a native arkansas dweller, makes me feel better.

hehe

11. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Yeah, cause Native Arkansas Dwellers LOVE to chat!!!

Gin <-----who is Floridian and also guilty

12. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

copper safe

i had the same problem kinda, i sooper dosed my tank with copper and all clams died all snails died except the coral banded shrimp and gorilla crabs weird...do you have sand in the QT also the copper safe could have been absorbed by the rock you have in there...i hear you should use pvc pipes for hiding spots with no sand