Grumpy leather coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by catchprj, Apr 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

How long would you expect a new leather coral to sulk when moved to a new tank? I purchased a leather coral 2 days ago, and on the first day it opened up and looked fantastic, but next couple of days have seen it halve in size and not extend any polyps. Is this normal?

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

It takes a bit for polyps to fully come out but for half size what color is it and is it droopy? A picture might help out some.

4. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

It's not droopy, just all clenched up.
    Here is a picture about 1 hour after putting it in my tank (about 2pm 22/4):
    [​IMG]
    And just now (1:30pm, 24/4)
    [​IMG]

5. leighton1245

what kind of flow is it in and where did you place it in the tank?

6. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

It is in medium flow. I guess medium is subjective. I have a 12,000LPH vibration pump in a 250L tank. The pump is not directed at the leather coral but the whole coral wobbles a little in the flow. It is about 30cm from the surface of a 55cm deep tank. Lighting is 150W CF 6,500K + 44W CF 20,000K.

7. leighton1245

I know that my leather likes to be about half way up in my tank. I have also found that if you move them to high the will open up real wide and if they are to low they will close up. IMO that looks like what your is doing the flow sounds correct. You might try to move it up some and see how it likes it.

8. Click Here!

9. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

By the way, this is a leather isn't it? It was sold to me as a 'soft finger coral'.

10. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Yes it is a finger leather coral. Give it more flow then give it some time,and see how it goes.
    Good Luck :)
    JJL

11. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

So things haven't got any better. The leather hasn't changed since I took the previous photo 4 days ago. Looking at it this afternoon it had a bit of fuzzy algae growing on it so I did what JJL suggested and moved it to an area of higher flow. In the last 3 hours it has started to become less rigid. It is now leaning away from the flow and beginning to bend slightly.
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (if anything). Should I be worried?

12. leighton1245

Just to get a better grasp on where its at in your tank can you post a full tank shot ill attach a pic of mine where its located.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is some of what it should look like just so you know. I hope it helps