Grrr

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lukeoslavia, Sep 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lukeoslavia

lukeoslavia Flamingo Tongue

I have an explosion, yes explosion, there is no better way to explain it, of green hair algae. I clean my front glass one day and its slimy the next:-[ I have phos-zorb in my sump, a UV and skimmer running and it isn't even phasing it. As of right now I am thinking of starting out with a new 75G and using purely R/O DI water from the start and curing the rock this time ( shouldn't have listened to the guy I bought it from). I would have to keep my fish in the current tank for a few months, just in case I have another outbreak of the algae. As of now with fish in I cant remove my rock.

If anyone has an alternative to this I would LOVE to try it. I wasn't planning to go to a bigger tank this soon! I keep reading that it can be beaten but I cant seem to get a hold on it. Also, if you have a good method for removal it may help too. As of now I am scraping it and I know I am not getting it all out.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can try an Urchin or an Abalone. Both mowed down GHA for me very well. Perhaps get try to get a Sea Hare. Are you sure this is GHA on the glass? What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Do you have enough snail and are they the right kind of snails?

4. lukeoslavia

I am pretty sure I can get a pic for you if needed. My nitrates are about 10-15 right now. I changed my water last week and plan to do a little water change on Monday. I am not sure on my phosphates, I do not have a tester, but I have been using phos-zorb just to be safe. I have 5 astrea snails atm. Not sure if that's good or bad its what the LFS recommended to go with. they Don't seem to like being on the glass though.

5. Corailline

Yeah need an image. IME GHA tends to take over the rock work not the glass as much.
    Worse comes to worst you could try Algaefix but you need to thoroughly research it and watch for adverse side effects.
    I like Cerith, Turbo and Astrea, for snails.

Take an image so we can see what we're dealing with.

6. lukeoslavia

[​IMG]
    It is covering the rock pretty well too, but the snails are trying to keep it clean there. they just don't want to get on the glass.

7. Corailline

Yeah that looks like GHA. Weird because my Astraea Snails spend all their time on the glass.
    What is your water source? You definitely need more algae eaters to start with.

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

Reef cleaners would be a good place to start, send him a email telling what you got and just watch the problem be eaten lol

10. Corailline

^^^^^^^:) this.

11. lukeoslavia

I have been using Water island. I get it out of the R/O machine at the grocery store. I will be buying an R/O DI unit in the next couple weeks. I started out with straight well water, not softened. For the last month or two I have just been using the R/O from the store though.

Other than the Urchin and abalone, what would you recommend for a clean up crew. Currently, I have 12 red leg cortez hermits, a pep shrimp which has been hiding for three weeks, and the 5 snails. How many should I get?

12. Corailline

Yeah you can't trust that water, they never change out the diaphragms or filters. Your better off buying distilled in a bottle. ReefCleaners.org