growth on snail shell?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by swank1234, Mar 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swank1234

swank1234 Astrea Snail

The very large calcium plate looking growth on this snail's shell worries me. Is it an indication of an imblance within my system? Do I have a parasite I need to worry about? As far as I can remember, none of the snails I bought had these growths on them when I put them in the tank. This is not the only snail that I have seen that has a plack-like growth on the bottom of the shell, but this is by far the largest.

I circled the snail's foot in one circle, and the large growth I am talking about in the other. (Just so we dont get confused because I do realize the growth has other things growing on it.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    There is also this top picture so you can see how the opening edge of snail shell is NOT part of this growth, it is growing distinctly attached to the bottom in a different direction.

2. Click Here!

3. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Wow that growth is monsterous. The pic from bottom it looks huge, but from top it don't seem noticeable. Sorry no help.

4. swank1234

swank1234 Astrea Snail

Yeah, the snail itself looks as if it having trouble dragging it it looks so large. I have yanked it out of the tank so if it dies, I will be able to tell... but in doing so I remove it from food stuff... so hopefull someone can help quick.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

the growth almost looks like it's got a type of mouth in it??

6. swank1234

swank1234 Astrea Snail

It does!

I never noticed it before, but it does! [​IMG]

I actually just recieved an email from the company where I bought the snails from, and they believe it is some type of clam growing on it!

I have never placed any type of clam into the aquarium, so it is some sort of hitchhiker that came in on something... And I have several snails with this type of growth... So I guess I have even more else where also!

Does anyone know if there is a thing such as a "bad" clam? Or as far as we know are they all pretty good for aquariums?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Actually in that image it looks more like an oyster.

Hopefully pagojoe will know, I have never see anything like it.

8. Click Here!

9. Gavinsons

Gavinsons Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have several snails with those clams/ oysters growing on them. Ill get a pic of mine so you can compare

10. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Yep, it's an oyster (probably Crassotrea) growing on a cerith. Those type of oysters don't usually thrive in a tank, so it may not grow any more, assuming it's still alive. You can take the snail out and break the oyster off with a knife or screwdriver if you want.

Cheers,

Don

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Conroe Tx? I PM'd you!