Grims diy LED build!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Thatgrimguy, Mar 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

How do you test them in multiples? Do I use the battery tester?

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yes or actually a multimeter might be better. There is so much you can get current out of a battery tester. You might have to extend the cable since the heatsink is loong as well.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I think I fried my LEDs.... I can't get anything to turn on now... No idea where I screwed up... This sucks.. I have thrown so much damn money at this spectrum issue it's driving me crazy. I don't know what I'm going to do...

I still have the 420nm to work with.. I'm just terrified to mess with it after frying the xmls...

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Is it possible you may have blown the driver? Iv seen places where people make their own cable and blow the driver because of the wrong voltage. Now I know you bought the VDM cable but I saw someplace the red was -.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

hmm... i did plug the driver in before plugging it into my VDM... could that have blown the driver?

And good news!! Looks like the leds are still working, I blew my multimeter though lol. I tracked down the battery tester and was able to at least get the leds working one at a time again.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ya may have blown the driver. if ya don't have everything hooked up they'll build energy inside and they can blow, I'd unwire the driver, let it set, wire it back up completely and turn it back on and hope! Good thing its just the driver!;)

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Good to hear your LEDs are okay. I'm still confused how you blew the driver. It's going to be hard to troubleshoot without your multimeter. I'd really like to know how many volts are coming out of your VDM channels. Currently channel 1/2 are pushing 10.5V when at 100% and .02V when off on my Apex. I do know some of those wires can push out more than 10.5V.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm going to get a new multimeter tonight.

I need to learn how to properly use it, I wasn't before and that's how I blew it.

The driver on the other hand.. may not even be blown. I just know that I thought I had everything wired up, and nothing happened. then I saw smoke come from my multi meter and I thought I had blown the line. That's where I stopped. I haven't touched the True violet yet. Just the 14 xmls.

I"m going to take detailed pictures and get a new multimeter tonight. Hopefully with those someone can help me troubleshoot what's wrong.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Any updates?

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Not yet, I am going to be out of town until next sunday and didn't get a chance to work on it before I left. So it's on hold for a couple more weeks :-[