Grims diy LED build!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Thatgrimguy, Mar 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I use crazy glue gel in small amounts. What troubles are you having? If your not used to mounting optics the solder joints can interfere. After my first DIY project I learned this and preemptively solder my joints in consideration of optic clearance.

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

No, dont use super/crazy glue! The fume from the glue will cloud/damage the diodes!

I used this for my build:
    [​IMG]

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Weird...mine work just fine! I haven't seen any clouding/crazing as it's called. You need two drops of glue at max to attach optics. Hopefully some others with experience can chime in as well.

5. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

from the look of the wiring.. is look 100% better than mine... cant wait to see this up !!! what camera are you using to take that.. pictures are amazing!!!

6. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Nice work Grim, you will love it!

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Got the dimming cable and vdm cable I needed in to complete the build! So I'll hopefully be turning them on by tonight!

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Ok... so I just tried to test out my warm whites. and I got no light turning on.

I double/triple checked all my connections. I tested each individual led above the solder points and each one works... I have it plugged into my apex and the dimming port is set to on.. Any ideas where to start to trouble shoot this thing...

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I've hit a wall with the build... I'm about to skip over the XMLs and try hooking up the UV and see if they work at least. I'm very worried about going further without knowing what's wrong with the first strand I tried to hook up...

12. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hmmm... I dont know how to pinpoint the issue you're having except checking it one by one and go widen the section.. like check one LED at a time, which you did already, but two at a time, three, four... no?