greenish spots of algae on sand

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mac77, Feb 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mac77

mac77 Plankton

Can anyone tell what is this greenish spots of algae over my sand? The spots look like forming a start shape, is not covering the whole sand, but is everywhere only separate with fews inches in betwwen them. This is a new se up, I decided to start all over again after having a lot of problems with all kinds of algae. I let my tank cycle for 3 months. Water parameters are good except that I always get a litle bit of phosphate reading.
    This is a 75 gallon tank, with about 60 or 70 pounds of live rock, an in sump skimmer, but I also added a hang on the back skimmer ( Remora skimmer ) to better clean the water.
    During my cycling I kept the lights off, to avoid algae outbreaks. Now the tank has had the lights on for 2 weeks, everything is fine except I am getting these spots of greenish algae on the sand, what do you think are these, friends?
    I have 3 fishes in the tank, a blue tang a maroon clownfish and a sail fish.I have like ten snails that are doing a good job, but they are not eating these algae on the sand.
    Any body would know what I am having? your help will be very appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I agree with Matt. It's an experience for more established tanks, too. If you have fish waste (leading us through the nitrogen cycle) and lighting, you're going to get some algae. Minimizing feeding will help.