Urgent Green/Yellow Worm Thing

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Devin R., Feb 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Devin R.

Devin R. Plankton

I was looking at my live rock to see if anything new showed up, because it's a newly established aquarium. I noticed something weird and green with tentacle like things. I can't really tell if it's moving with the current or moving on it's own so I really need this thing ID'd so I can remove it right away if it's bad. Please help! :confused:

Here's a link to the video (Change quality if it doesn't start in HD!):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56YAxEWfHa5SmFHbzVNMnY2bHM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and Welcome to 3reef.

I saw this on ReefCentral, but I can not view the link here.

The angle and distance in the video make it hard to tell. If I had to guess based on the coloration and what little I could make out I would be inclined to consider a Spaghetti Worm with it's tentacles drawn in.

4. Devin R.

Devin R. Plankton

Thanks for the welcome, and the reply!

I just edited the post, I accidentally added the wrong link when I posted it! xD

Okay, I'll go ahead and research the Spaghetti Worm to see :)

Other people were saying it was a Lettuce Nudibranch, but I don't think they have tentacles like this, do they?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

After viewing it again I would say Nudibranch of some kind is probably correct. Nudibranch come in all kinds of strange shapes, colors, appendages......

6. Devin R.

Devin R. Plankton

Haha! I bet! All these inverts look like a bunch of little aliens. xD

I've been looking all over the place, but I can't seem to find any invert with this coloration. A green body with yellow tipped tentacles. So it could be anything! And I think there's actually two in there because I managed to gently nudge it with a wooden skewer and those other tentacles didn't move with it.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Devin R.

Devin R. Plankton

Nope, the only living things are three hermits, one turbo snail and the "live" rock. Although I did add a Xenia which sadly perished due to the tank being way too new and the water quality too clean. But may I ask why you ask?

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Nudis usually come in with something they look like I bet this one eats GSP, though it might be a herbivore

11. Devin R.

Devin R. Plankton

Oh okay, makes perfect sense. It seems to like the purple algae because it hasn't moved away from it. But there could be some green algae on there that I can't really see well.

12. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I couldn't see the video originally, but I can now. I've never seen them in person, so I haven't seen them feed, but it looks like it might be a Melibe species, which is a specialized nudi with a "cast net" on the head. Check

The Sea Slug Forum - Species List

and scroll/page search for Melibe. It looks like he's extending his oral veil to me??

Cheers,

Don