Green water

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JetEngineMech, Apr 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

I thought a few days would be OK but wanted to make sure before I did something I'd regret later. Just after the water turned green, I checked the nitrites and they were a bit high. After almost a week they went back to zero. I don't know if I was overfeeding at the time but it happened a day after leaving a piece of that dried-algae stuff that comes in a wafer in the tank. Is it just coincidence or did that spawn my algae bloom? Normally I mix it up between the frozen I and II and some dry granule food.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That was the culprit .. I tell you what take what you now feed the tank and cut that amount in half, Then cut the days you now feed in half and then tell me in 2 weeks what the system looks like. I think we had this discussion a few months ago you are feeding the tank to death as most do it seems.. Feeding way less then what most feed on average will really improve the tanks water and the animals health. In nature they eat as they can may be days in between a huge feeding and lots of Little pecking in between thats when mine clean the tank in between the days they don't get spoon fed so to speak.And that wafer is a waster just find some OSI spiralunia and feed that as needed

4. JetEngineMech

That wasn't all at the same time. One day would be one thing, the next day something else..I fed them once a day, but would vary what it would be. Is that still too much? Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the wafer. The star ate most of it anyway.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes thats a lot of feedingnow if you have a large demand for the food or a good big skimmer to handle the water then you may have a better chance.
    But on the average aquarium not saying yours is average as I've never seen it but in a heavly stocked 90 that I had with lots of LPS and softs and a few SPS and clms nd lots of large well 5 med.sized tangs ad a few other type . I fed about 3 times a wek and only flake an every sooften I'd toss in a cube or maybe two of brine or mysties shrimp if I was feeling extra suacy that day. You are feeding the tank way to much..I think
    But most over feed anyways thats why the hve alot of health issues.

6. JetEngineMech

Wow. OK, I'll cut back then. Thanks for the help. The tank is currently under-cover 8) It's day one of three...hopefully I can end this now that I know what I did wrong. :embarrass

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You have a U/V unit ? That will clear it up about all a U/V is really good for..

8. Click Here!

9. JetEngineMech

No I don't. Don't I need a sump to use one? Or at least somewhere I can put it in-line?

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes you can hob and use the main pump or add a small poser head all you'd need is about 8 to 10watts or so..on a 55 or less. I really don;t like a U/V but they are great for this problem.. Will make water clear

11. JetEngineMech

Thanks, I'll look into it. Especially if it happens again.

12. JetEngineMech

Well, midnight last night was the end of the 72 hours and I actually left it dark until this morning. The water is STILL green. A bit lighter, but I can't see any farther back than half-way. My carbons/filters are due for a change so I'll do that. It's also due for this week's water change. Now what? I can't get the UV for a couple weeks or so. Would only running the blue/actinics be OK or will that still feed the algae?