Green Tip Torch Coral: HELP

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Seeingstares1, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seeingstares1

Seeingstares1 Plankton

My Coral was fine yesterday and has seemed to do very well since placed in the tank about a month ago, but now yesterday a bit of it disappeared, i am not sure if it died, retracted or will begin to happen to other parts of my coral, any advice as too how to save the rest or if the part that is dead, dying will grow back. PLease this was my favorite piece in my tank and relay would like to save it

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Seeingstares1

Seeingstares1 Plankton

also about my Coral

Are the yellow colored sacs between the branches sings of propagation ???????

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

seeingstares

check my avatar - it is a 8 head Torch - it was a 9 head torch in June, but during a tank change I accidentally handled it by the head when the polyps where not fully retracted
    the single head rotted and died, but the other 8 heads are fine

they do react to
    bad handling - contact with the hands on the flesh is to be avoided
    They dont like rapid parameter changes - so keep new water at water change time well away from them

the remaining heads do look OK to me so provided you water quality is good, there is no reason that this problem should result in the loss of the full coral

I cant see any obvious signs of something like Brown Jelly infection?
    I cant see the yellow coloured sacs, its possible these are sponges living on the branches? if you can get close up photo that would help

are you running carbon? many people including myself, believe LPS corals appreciate (as do many other corals) the benefits that carbon can bring to the filter system.

Steve

5. Seeingstares1

Seeingstares1 Plankton

Ok Udate

So i posted a pic of the yellow sacs i was talking about, and highlighted with blue arrows, ill check ou on the carbon i am not currently

Notice the red arrow in the pic i think iv all ready lost another head :(

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

seeingstares

they look like sponges to me on the skeleton of the torch
    can you get your tank parameters up Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Phosphate, Calcium
    Magnesium and ALK - Temperature also

also when it expands can it touch anything
    can you post a general tank shot so we can see whats near it

has anything happened like a change of location or a water change recently that could account for these decaying heads

Steve

7. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

You can try and use airline tubing to siphon off the dead/necrotic tissue. Then, depending on the severity of the infection, you may decide to try giving the coral a bath with a Lugols Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully prevent the spread of the tissue necrosis.

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

if its getting worse it might be time for some triage. You can either try to remove the affected head, or frag off the remaining healthy heads.

~Will.

10. Puff Daddy

Puff Daddy Plankton

Re:

do you have a porcupine puffer fish? there poop wil sometimes kill the coral?