Green Stuff

Discussion in 'Algae' started by keion, Jan 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keion

keion Plankton

I got this green stuff growing on some of my LR and I'm not sure if it is green algae. i have look at the sails eating on it and i tried wiping it with my hand but it's not coming off.

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Oh yeah, green hair algae. Wait a couple more days and you'll start noticing the hair part. :p

4. keion

keion Plankton

It's on the LR for a few weeks. it feels hard like coraline algae and the only way i think to get it off is to scrub it.

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

It may be green coraline algae.

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

When it's barely visible, you can barely feel the hair algae, and you can't siphon it or scratch it off, you have to scrub it!

7. keion

keion Plankton

is the green coraline alage good/bad or something i should try to get rid of ASAP?

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You might be lucky! It could be corraline algae. Corraline algae comes in lor shades of pink, purple, red and greens. You will notice soon though if it is micro algae or macro algae(good algae). Check your phosphate level. Make sure you have a good " cleaner crew". Ie. snails, peppermint shrimp, mithrax crabs, and hermit crabs. Lawnmower and red lip blennies are also good as well as Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.
    Your lighting might be causing an algae bloom also.

10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Dont forget purple tangs, my little guy rid of my hair algae, he's the prized fish in my reef.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I know!!!Yes you are right, Purple Tangs are good algae eaters. You may as well include the Scopas Tang as well. I'm a Minnesota Vikings football fan, so yes the Purple tan(purple and yellow) is one of my favorites...they are just so expensive!!